German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My three month old still screams to the top of her lungs everytime I put her in the crate. I've had her a month and my neighbors have had enough of the whining. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Have you slowly worked on crate training? Start off with 5 minutes with you in the room, sitting quietly and working your way up to longer times? Are you making the crate fun happy time for her? Unfortunately, you can't just stick a dog in a crate and expect them to like it. What have you done for crate training?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My three month old still screams to the top of her lungs everytime I put her in the crate. I've had her a month and my neighbors have had enough of the whining. PLEASE HELP
Burn off your dog's energy (this will prevent many destructive behaviors). Tire your dog out with some rigorous on leash walks, playing games and some mentally stimulating obedience training. If you have a persistent whiner only ever go to him/her when all is quiet. Repeat the following training program over and over until your dog "gets it". If you can hear your dog whining in the other room go to the door and say "enough!!" and quickly slam the door shut. When the whining stops (even for 5 seconds) you can go into the room full of praise and give your dog a tasty treat. Most dogs soon learn that when they whine you are not around, but when they are quiet you are friendly and come with treats. This method of providing instant feedback to your dog can be a slow process but does work - remember to reinforce in your dog's mind that his whining never leads to a desirable consequence. Another method that I've been told works is to use a water pistol. I've never used this method but what you do is squirt your dog when he/she is whining and at the same time say "No!!". This produces a negative association in your dog's mind between him whining and the unpleasant shot of water to his face. You must be on the spot to enforce this consequence to your dog - but if your timing is good you should only have to do it a few times. Don't continue to use this technique for more than a few days, it's not working if you don't get a good result in a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You cant let them out for whining. If you did that you set yourself back 100 steps. My girl was ripped from her world of an x pen and littermates and she got stuck with me! No wonder she was upset, I did my best to ignore but caved in occasionally so it took a week or 2 for her to be completely settled in her crate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts