German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all i have a question that maybe someone can answer.
my wife and i have had a female gsd for almost 2 years now and we made an addition yesterday we got a male who is 11 weeks old. from the moment we came home with the pup our female isnt getting along with him. she is mostly showing her teeth and sometimes nipping at the pup. my wife is a nervous wreck because the female will what looks aggresive pounce and knock the pup into the ground. now from what i am seeing it was over a bone and iam trying to keep them separate but my female feels the need to take everything from him. is there a good way to have them get along or is our female too posesive? i know it has only been a day but i wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions or past experiences like this. now we also have a 2 and a half year old son who our female watches with her life is she trying to protect him or is she just saying this is her house? thank you for any help with this.

dan

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Lots of adult dogs don't like puppies as they can be so annoying. It's up to you to make sure your female can get away from him and keep all her stuff safely away from the puppy or else completely remove them. Be sure to spend quality time with each dog separately and together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the thing is the puppy doesnt seem to want anything to do with her. its my female that is trying to interact be it not all friendly. i know she knows this is her house and maybe a new pup is bothering her. i guess time will tell as it has only been a day. it almost seems like the pup is afraid of her plus the addition of a new home, he is glued to my side and crys alot but i will take that anyday. i dont want to have to bring him back to the breeder but our female comes first and i dont want to screw her up. im not one to give up i just want what is best for the dogs. we have been in contact and she said the same. i know its gonna take time and work i just didnt know if anyone has had this happen and how long to expect this to go on. i know they say male female mix is the way to go so we will see. thanks for you answer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
might want to put away all her toys so the pup doesnt go for them. Also trying walking them together. Did you have them meet outside the house in a neutral area?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I brought home a 9 week old male pup to our female who was 10 at the time. We had them meet outside and she tried to peg him right away. Then in the house she tried again, I corrected her by telling her no both times. It took a few days but she got used to the pup and actually became a big help in raising him. She would correct him when he got out of line and as he grew she loved him. She actually started to play with him.

I just had to watch her as sometimes it seemed she corrected him to much and then I would step in.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Its just been a day...it takes months to get them used to each other. Try to relax, keep them separate except for walks , if you can, or when supervised and neither have a toy/bone. I would let the female know that you are in charge of things..that you will supervise and keep everyone safe. Don't let her feel like she has to take things into her own hands. I have had my puppy for six months..and just now I feel like my seven year old dog is accepting and actually wanting to play with him.

Puppies can be annoying and too spontaneous, takes awhile for everyone to get their new routine down. Have fun!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
just saw this was a double post. Here is the response i posted in the other one.

first of all take a step back and BREATH! how well have your older dog been socialized with other dogs and puppies. Also you have to think of it from her point of view. You brought this little energetic ball of sharp teeth and fur into her home with what sounds like a lack of prep on your park to prepare her. She has had everything to herself for two years! and now she has this little sibling who doesnt know the rules and honestly at this point in time, doesnt care about the rules. When i brought Shasta home, our older male was snappy and growly and just downright mean sometimes. All Shasta wanted was to be friends. She didnt understand why he didnt like her and why he would get angry when she even LOOKED at his bone. Well after time, corrections to our male's behavior when he started getting too obnoxious and crate time for all dogs, Shasta has an older brother who plays with her. you have to give it time. I'm sure you might feel a little hurt if suddenly there is someone new in your home without any prep or knowledge it was going to happen! Your older dog needs to know she is still first in the doggie line up in your eyes. Thats not to say she's allowed to get overly mean with the pup, but DO allow her to correct him when he steps out of line and dont allow her to be possessive over your skin kid or goodies. She doesnt know this intruder yet and will naturally be on edge. Give them time. If they start getting nasty about toys and bones and basically treats, remove the problematic items for another time. You could also always give BOTH of them a bone to chew on at the same time but you have to be prepared to correct when pup or adult try to move in for the others treat. Hope that helps you some and i'm sure others will chime in with some more information for you. Just remember to take a nice deep breath because freaking out wont do anyone any good. Good luck! and we look forward to pictures!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for all of you responses. its my wife who is a nervous wreck and im trying to give her some piece of mind that it will work out. this is our first time bringing another dog into our house as i have always been a one dog person. right now the female is on his every move and im always there to watch. i never leave them alone together. the pup is very over dramatic and yelps thats was has my wife on edge that he he yelps everytime my female makes a move. there hasnt been any serious attack on him i just think the pup isnt used to being put in his place. i know this wont happen in a day i was just seeking some additional advice from all the owners. i will post some pics of both of them and keep eveyone updated. thank you again !

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thank you for all of you responses. its my wife who is a nervous wreck and im trying to give her some piece of mind that it will work out. this is our first time bringing another dog into our house as i have always been a one dog person. right now the female is on his every move and im always there to watch. i never leave them alone together. the pup is very over dramatic and yelps thats was has my wife on edge that he he yelps everytime my female makes a move. there hasnt been any serious attack on him i just think the pup isnt used to being put in his place. i know this wont happen in a day i was just seeking some additional advice from all the owners. i will post some pics of both of them and keep eveyone updated. thank you again !

keep in mind you need to correct your female when she gets too intensely focused on him. Watching his every move i would say is too much. She's making the pup nervous. GSDs are dramatic. I know mine sure are but she's making him nervous by being overly focused on him. He doesnt have his siblings around as a distraction and he's adjusting all on his own as well. Dont coddle him when he freaks every time your female makes a move. It will only enourage the puppy panic attacks and could cause some pretty big problems later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
she is deff being overly protective thats what had me worried and that the pup is a nervous wreck. but i have to say even within the last few hours the pup will fire back some shots with his paws when i step in and she turns and walks away. i know they are very dramatic dogs thats why im not too worried. most times my female isnt making contact and he yelps so thats him being dramatic. but my female follows him EVERYWHERE. im a stay at home dad and have the time to work on this,

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
she is deff being overly protective thats what had me worried and that the pup is a nervous wreck. but i have to say even within the last few hours the pup will fire back some shots with his paws when i step in and she turns and walks away. i know they are very dramatic dogs thats why im not too worried. most times my female isnt making contact and he yelps so thats him being dramatic. but my female follows him EVERYWHERE. im a stay at home dad and have the time to work on this,

kinda sounds like your female may also be curious too.... like she's trying to figure out what the heck the pup is doing there? who knows. it'll all work out in time. your female will learn to chill out and the pup will learn to stop the dramatics. lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
today is going much better the 2 of them are starting to play a bit more and the female has backed off a bit and is alot less aggresive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts