German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem? Bosco is 12 weeks and I accepted the fact that he will bite. However he thinks my hand, sleeve and pants are tug toys and pull towards him. Recently he started humping and I believe this is puppy behavior:crazy:
He will bite and hold my sleeve/pants and start humping. Yelping doesn't work and when I push him off from humping me, he will growl and go for another bite and hump. Today I tried redirecting him with a kong and it worked!!:wild:
Just wondering if there are other ways to stop this behavior of humping/growling. Also for a puppy, would a quick pull from his collar work or would this most likely escalate the behavior?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
not sure on the humping however redirecting the biting onto a toy is exactly what you want.

Its not a reward for poor behavior it's teaching a puppy a more appropriate outlet. When they are tugging and biting on you put a toy in the mouth and start tugging with the pup so they learn your cloths are not acceptable but the toy is.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just keep redirecting - no corrections yet, just show him what you want him to do. Eventually he will realize that the tugs are WAY more fun and that when he bites your pants/body nothing happens, so its SOOO not as fun!

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's a pain of a puppy stage. I completely feel your pain. Hubby & I have had our fair share of cuts & bruises in the last 9 weeks. It's still there at 17 weeks, but getting better each week.

The redirecting here has been a really big help! Always carry a toy with you and put it in his mouth when he starts to nip.

The other thing that helped was teaching Jazmyn "leave it". As soon as she starts to bite something she shouldn't, we just give a "leave it" and she tends to leave it alone. We started by teaching it to her with a treat. She can now transfer it to us, clothes, furniture, etc. The only thing we make sure that we do not say leave it for are her toys, shes supposed to chew on those :) When we want her to stop chewing on a toy, bone, drop a ball when retreiving, etc we use "drop it" instead.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts