German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, Frida has been diagnosed with MegaEsophagus(basically means she’s not able to eat normal she must be sitting vertically like a human for about 20mins or she will regurgitate her food).
This is my wife’s and I first pet and we are still learning how have a pet along her condition as well. If anyone here has some experience/advice that might help out while were privileged to go through this journey with frida, I’d appreciate that very much?❤

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry for you guys and Frida!

This one is tough even for a seasoned dog owner!

Bless your hearts for accepting this condition and learning how to work with it!

She is a beautiful girl!

Moms :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Frida looks really good for a dog that has ME (Mega Esophagus). I've dealt with 2 ME dogs, both Shepherds, one is laying under my feet as i write this. Sadly this breed is one of the breeds that are most affected!

It's not a death sentence in most cases, it's a matter of maintenance & a shift in how you deal with what you've been handed & a good vet that will deal with you with an open mind.

There is the original Yahoo group that has the basics down to a unwavering "science" & there is many Facebook groups that have so much information & support.

I can provide more information if you are interested, but right now I need to feed humans & the ME dog!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Promises Animal Rescue (PAR) takes on a lot of dogs with MegaE. Here is a link to helpful MegaE information.

MegaE Information - Promises Animal Rescue

You can also contact them through their website, or FB.

Hmm, some of those topics are not coming up. Must be an old link. If you are unable to get information directly from PAR and have specific questions, let me know. I am facebook friends with one of the founders.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have a Mega boy since he was a pup. You need to build a bailey chair, get a good blender. Water can be an issue, it needs to be incorporated into the meals in a smooth slurry type shake.

Have lots of paper towels around. Buy Gas X since they can bloat from excess gas. They need to be feed three times a day in smaller meals. Its not a death sentence, its manageable. Seven years and my boy is doing great, no meds. Once you get a good routine going it gets easier. I will help you if you need any advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I really appreciate all the info everyone it’s great stuff, I we haven’t had a barf situation in a while, i did build her a Bailey chair, and feed her 3x a day with 1 can blue buffalo high Energey pup formula each meal( not sure if that’s the best but it fits in our buget/schedule and she has been responding very well to it if I do less she stays every hungry searching for more and if I do more she usually barfs at night. Her biggest episodes are at night so currently we use 2 neck pillows for her had it has been working. We seem to have a plan that has been working but I don’t want just working for us I want to know what’s best. Also I am army reserves so I spend sometime away from my family and my wife has a full time so everyone stays busy haha. Again everyone thanks for the info I love the chance to learn.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
She is very beautiful. What a sweet face.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts