German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 month dog is whining when he urinates. It's been going on for about a month and his urine is yellow, sometimes dark yellow too. Not sure whether he's having enough water. But it's a bit concerning that he whines whilst urinating
Any advice
Thanks

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Why have you waited this long? Take him and a urinary sample to the vet today. It's easy to do. Leash him, and when he pees, hold a ladle under the stream to collect urine and pour it in a very clean container in order not to contaminate the sample.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Why do you wonder if he has enough water? Do you restrict it? He should have access to water at all times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ye
Why have you waited this long? Take him and a urinary sample to the vet today. It's easy to do. Leash him, and when he pees, hold a ladle under the stream to collect urine and pour it in a very clean container in order not to contaminate the sample.
Yeah will do

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has
Why do you wonder if he has enough water? Do you restrict it? He should have access to water at all times.
He has access to water, but don't think he drinks enough of it. We have to keep telling him to have water

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
He has

He has access to water, but don't think he drinks enough of it. We have to keep telling him to have water
My dog and all dogs in the past, prefer drinking from the toilet bowl. Have you given him that opportunity? Just make sure there are no cleaning blocks or other chemicals leeching in the water.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
My dog and all dogs in the past, prefer drinking from the toilet bowl. Have you given him that opportunity? Just make sure there are no cleaning blocks or other chemicals leeching in the water.
I meant this seriously, not as a joke. I know that my dogs wold drink more often from the toilet bowl than from their own dish. And....you flush for fresh water.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Male dogs can get UTIs. I'd bring him in.

I have a large (just over a gallon) ceramic bowl that I put clean water and ice in. My pup spills so much water that I end up filling it several times a day. The water is clean and cool always. In summer, I add more ice.

I also have this PetSafe Drinking Fountain that I got when one of my dogs was in renal failure to increase her water intake. The dogs LOVE it.

There is no reason to let your dogs drink out of the toilet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts