German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
image0 (9).jpg image0 (4).jpg image0 (7).jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
image0 (10).jpg image3.jpg

He's 1yr and 75 lbs with room to fill in. Wondering what breeds he might be!

Meet Mad Max! More pics on the imgur link in case these don't work! (My phone takes crummy pics...) He's got a HUGE head. 26 in tall and 26 in long (withers to rump) and lanky! His floppy rose-shaped, wider-set ears are a giveaway to mixed heritage, but I'm scratching my head as to what. Adopted him in Texas. He bears some resemblance to a black mouth cur, which I'm reading are mostly in the south. His temperament was super chill when we met him with his previous owners, but started acting more like a nervous (albeit sweet) shepherd immediately when we took him home. He's getting used to his new life, deffo a watchdog. He has the GSD/husky/trotting breed 'trot' gait.

Lots of rambling, sorry! Max is a great boy with a wonderful temperament (especially for a young dog). He has some separation anxiety and associated issues but we are working on that :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Idk why it's indicating suggestive content, it's just max on his doggy bed (doggy booty?)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Thecowboysgirl funny thing, my parents just acquired a purebred anatolian shepherd female with their property (just how country things work lol). Here are some pics of her! She has the distinctive curly q tail, whereas his is more shepherd/dane with the long sickle....Time to google search anatolian mixes...

Duchess2.jpg Duchess1.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He clacks his teeth when excited, too, don't know if that means anything?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Handsome dude he is. Boy I'd definitely do an Embark DNA on him. Could be several large breed mixes in there, but
whatever he sounds like a special guy. Congratulations on acquiring him. And Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Holy cow he does look like an anatolian! The coat lengths varies within the breed, I'll surmise?

And thank you Orphan Heidi! :) I've heard Embark is one of the better DNA test brands, yes?

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
He sounds like a nice boy.
Anything is possible with mixes...
I wouldn’t rule out the cur, Texas is “southern enough”... Anatolian is definitely a strong possibility despite the straight tail, as is lab, shepherd, mastiff, dane.
He really isn’t huge... probably done with height and will put on another 10lbs.

Reactions: Orphan Heidi

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts

Holy cow he does look like an anatolian! The coat lengths varies within the breed, I'll surmise?
Yes, there will be some coat variation dog to dog as well as season to season... especially with once you get into actual working stock dogs.

·
Registered
532 Posts

And thank you Orphan Heidi! :) I've heard Embark is one of the better DNA test brands, yes?
Embark was recommended on this forum as being the best and most accurate dna test. I used it on my rescue
and was impressed. Also the additional health testing is well worth the money if you decide to go that route.

Now that you posted the Anatolian pic, it does look like your boy has some in him. The body structure, especially the hind end really matches.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
If you do the DNA I hope you come back and tell us what it said. It would be interesting to know!

I wish they had had the better DNA tests back when I had my mystery yellow dog.

·
Registered
264 Posts
He looks predominantly Anatolian with a little shepherd in there. He's got "eyeliner" as we called it. His ears are too small to be pure. At 1 he should be over 100lbs. There are several Anatolian breeders in Texas. He definitely has the deep amber Anatolian eyes. He will be a great dog, but socialize him heavily and establish your leadership through obedience classes. This is not a breed to be heavy-handed with. They are very sensitive and attach deeply to their people. My male (got him at 2 years) that passed did not like anyone touching him in public (kids and adults) and was highly suspicious. You had to be invited in by us or he would not let you in even if he knew you or you had been in the house before. Amazing with my children and they learned to walk holding him (by his choice with his harness and supervised). Not a breed for the dog park once they reach maturity. If he is 1 he is starting to come into his confidence and protective instincts.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
He looks predominantly Anatolian with a little shepherd in there. He's got "eyeliner" as we called it. His ears are too small to be pure. At 1 he should be over 100lbs. There are several Anatolian breeders in Texas. He definitely has the deep amber Anatolian eyes. He will be a great dog, but socialize him heavily and establish your leadership through obedience classes. This is not a breed to be heavy-handed with. They are very sensitive and attach deeply to their people. My male (got him at 2 years) that passed did not like anyone touching him in public (kids and adults) and was highly suspicious. You had to be invited in by us or he would not let you in even if he knew you or you had been in the house before. Amazing with my children and they learned to walk holding him (by his choice with his harness and supervised). Not a breed for the dog park once they reach maturity. If he is 1 he is starting to come into his confidence and protective instincts.
I believe in this case it would be GUYliner. ;)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Google images of greyhound cross german shepherd mixes, and see what you think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I almost never take pics during walks but I finally had the chance to snap a few with my crappy camera. Max is 1 year and 75 lb, not sure what breed he is. I was pleased to finally get some pics of his side profile and build. He comes from a household where he had low but sufficient (i guess) exercise, excited to see how he does with a better exercise regime! (He loves walks, that's for sure).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@CactusWren I've looked up Kangals and they are certainly gorgeous and HUGE!!! He does have the markings like one, but (for now) not the size. I don't think im ready for that much dog!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I think the longer, narrower snout is the most un-anatolian thing about this dog. Gonna do that DNA? I'm curious!

Could be a dash of some sight hound too?

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
If he has been neutered at an early age, he height is probably taller than normal which can be confusing regarding the mix. He could easily and simply be a Lab X GSD is that way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan to do a DNA test, but funds need to go to Responsible Owner Things for max right now 😉

And wolfydog yeah that's what the original owners thought as well. Postulating breed mixes is more addicting than one would think, I'm finding...all the possibilities~!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts