German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I almost never take pics during walks but I finally had the chance to snap a few with my crappy camera. Max is 1 year and 75 lb, not sure what breed he is. I was pleased to finally get some pics of his side profile and build. He comes from a household where he had low but sufficient (i guess) exercise, excited to see how he does with a better exercise regime! (He loves walks, that's for sure).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@CactusWren I've looked up Kangals and they are certainly gorgeous and HUGE!!! He does have the markings like one, but (for now) not the size. I don't think im ready for that much dog!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I think the longer, narrower snout is the most un-anatolian thing about this dog. Gonna do that DNA? I'm curious!

Could be a dash of some sight hound too?

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
If he has been neutered at an early age, he height is probably taller than normal which can be confusing regarding the mix. He could easily and simply be a Lab X GSD is that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to do a DNA test, but funds need to go to Responsible Owner Things for max right now 😉

And wolfydog yeah that's what the original owners thought as well. Postulating breed mixes is more addicting than one would think, I'm finding...all the possibilities~!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bets still on Anatolian in there. His body is longer and sleeker, made for running and quick maneuvering with long legs.

Kangals are a lot more solid boned and bulky. They are built more block-like similar to Storm's breed. Very wide mastiff/molosser type head.

If you want real controversy and within breed bickering step into that world. It's not the dogs who are the most protective and snarky, lol.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Very handsome dog but way too small at that age to be mixed with Anatolian. I really have no guess as to breed at the moment but as Wolfydog said, a lot can be contingent on whether he is intact or not and at what age if he was neutered. IMO, I would be looking at GSDs as the larger breed in the mix and would surmise the unknown part is of a smaller breed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He likely was neutered young, given that he was adopted originally around four months. He's a tall boy, though. 26 in long and 26 in tall. My parents now have a female anatolian shepherd and he's taller than her....she's definitely got more bulk on her than him (and a lot of fur too lol).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts