German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got these and I was wondering whether anyone could tell me anything about them?

The nicer of the two is stamped with "US" on either side of the blanket. Materials and hardware are consistent with Korean / Vietnam era equipment. Lining is a reprocessed wool type material.

Both have a "data plate" on the inside, which is made from leather and has gone rock hard. Can't make out much of the data plate but I believe the text at the top says "Ray Allen Mfg".

I plan on fixing both of them up (quartermaster-style repairs to stay true to the approximate time period) and using them in the MWD display I put together for living history / school talk type events. But I'd like to know a little more about what these are and such. So if anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it. (I emailed Ray Allen, too.)

·
868 Posts
That is a cold weather blanket they used way back when. I only know that because I handled a Sentry dog, way back when, ha ha. Neat object. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you.

DFrost

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like my guess about these was right on, then, DFrost. Would it be safe to label these "Vietnam era"? I can't make out the actual dates on the data plates / labels on the inside.

There's two separate ones that I have. The nicer one at the top and the torn up one pictured at the bottom. I plan to repair them both and use them in the living history display about Military Working Dogs that I put together for events / reenactments / school talks. Definitely keeping them.

I'll post pictures of the repairs when I've made them. Not sure what I'm going to do for the one that has the big tear.

·
868 Posts
Actually, they would even be pre Viet Nam era. We didn't need them there. ha ha. It was kind of hot and humid most of the time. I'd say more late Korean War.

DFrost

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, yes, obviously you didn't need them in Vietnam. I'm pretty sure there were working dogs in other places in that time period, too, though.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still waiting to hear back from Ray Allen. Being the manufacturer of these, as per the label, I would assume that they have information for how long these were made and approximately from when they date. I'll post updates if I get anything back from them.

And I'll post new pictures when I've got them repaired, too.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Cool! My mom is the keeper of all my grandpa's war stuff (her father in law). We don't have any war dog stuff though, and most of his stuff is Nazi/German.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:We don't have any war dog stuff though, and most of his stuff is Nazi/German.
Preserve that stuff well, especially paperwork, since it deteriorates over time. German items sell for big money, depending on the item / rarity.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i`d give just about anything for one of those

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will definitely be keeping the nicer of the two for display / living history. They're relatively small in size - they fit my little Abby but seem a bit small even on her.

Once I've made repairs, I may want to sell the one in the lower picture (which will require more repairs than the other). If anyone would want it, either before or after repair, please let me know and make me an offer.

There's really no reason I need two. But I do need the nicer ones for the purpose I'm using it for. (Display / educational.)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: HistorianGerman items sell for big money, depending on the item / rarity.
Really? I always wondered why we had all this German stuff. I think Grandpa was ripping it off, or trading other soldiers. We have his uniform and everything else is German (medals, flags, this REALLY cool leather aviator helmet/hat). Years ago, my mom scanned all his photos and typed all his written letters and made a book.

One year for Halloween I went as a soldier in Grandpa's uniform. One house we stopped at had an old guy and he recognized the 7th corps uniform!

I don't think I'd ever sell the stuff, unless I found someone really into it that would appreciate it more than me.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:I don't think I'd ever sell the stuff, unless I found someone really into it that would appreciate it more than me.
Don't sell it. First, it's always going to be worth more to you because it is part of your family. Second, there are plenty of collectors out there who won't think twice about ripping you off and telling you it's not worth much so they can get it "for cheap".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts