German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a leather basket muzzle, preferably with the hard strip at the nose.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand they like?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Sorry, I just saw this. Of course I use muzzles, Kimber has a muzzle title :).Are you talking like an agitation muzzle? My favorite muzzle I have is actually the least expensive from For Dog Trainers. The leather is actually really nice, good quality, I’ve had it three years and have zero issues with it. https://www.fordogtrainers.com/leather-dog-muzzles-c-92_154/durable-letaher-dog-muzzle-with-antirubbing-nose-padding-p-3849.html

I also have a redline muzzle that is also decent, but I usually just use that one to entridice dogs to the muzzle.

I’ve heard great things about Hortons custom muzzles, but I don’t have any experience with them personally. https://hortonsquality.com/Muzzles/

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@mycobraracr

It doesn't have to be hardcore agitation. He took exception to the vet being to close to me and Jax last time. Decent one for safety, not work but I want plenty of air flow for him, with the nose strip that he can't bite thru.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
@mycobraracr

It doesn't have to be hardcore agitation. He took exception to the vet being to close to me and Jax last time. Decent one for safety, not work but I want plenty of air flow for him, with the nose strip that he can't bite thru.

I’d check out some of the muzzles from for dog trainers. I’ve been really impressed with their quality on their muzzles. I’ll be buying a wire basket muzzle from them in the near future, just haven’t got one yet.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d check out some of the muzzles from for dog trainers. I’ve been really impressed with their quality on their muzzles. I’ll be buying a wire basket muzzle from them in the near future, just haven’t got one yet.
You are happy with the airflow on that? If she can work in it then he can certainly have enough to sit thru a vet exam. I should be able to call and get help with sizing, right?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have never used a leather muzzle, but I do recommend plastic jafco muzzle and this wire muzzle: https://www.german-shepherd-dog-breed-store.com/german-shepherd-muzzle-c-3/police-wire-dog-muzzle-for-german-shepherd-p-375.html

One problem with jafco though is that the airflow could be better.
One problem with the wire muzzle is that it really hurts when the dog bumps into you. Also I am somehow paranoid about children poking fingers into the wire opening, lol, guess that is because I used to be that crazy kid haha.

Let us know if you find a leather muzzle you like! I love trying out new muzzles on my dog:D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
@mycobraracr

For this purpose, you only need an inexpensive cloth muzzle you can get at a pet store.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I got a wire basket muzzle from For Dog Trainers ages ago. It is still the best I've seen for allowing panting and drinking and airflow. They could punch and leave a bruise from the metal but there is no biting through it.

I have not been kind to mine and it is still perfectly functional maybe 8 years old?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don't like the cloth muzzles.
I always had to muzzle my old dog at the vet and he would absolutely bite at the vet and had a very hard bite. I used an agitation muzzle for muzzle work, but only needed a simple cloth muzzle for the vet and there were never any problems.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always had to muzzle my old dog at the vet and he would absolutely bite at the vet and had a very hard bite. I used an agitation muzzle for muzzle work, but only needed a simple cloth muzzle for the vet and there were never any problems.
I don't doubt you, Chip. We've used the cloth on our Boxers at the vet. I just don't want one and would rather buy a decent leather one.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Which one did you end up going with? We are contemplating using one to introduce Ranger to my wife's pup when he arrives.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts