German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First please dont jump to conclusions and start calling my dog dog aggressive and needs a muzzle in public as this has NOTHING to do with my situation or dog just something I noticed while walking on trials with other people. Sorry I find a lot of people just make assumptions a lot here.

I notice people walking dogs that have a muzzle that just is around the dogs snout. Not a mask. One lady is a dalmation owner. I have gotten to know her and we chat sometimes. She really likes how responsive and calm my dog is and commented and ever since now if we see each other we stop and chat.

Well her dalmation wears one of those muzzles because she was ordered to after a brutal attack on a smaller dog. She is quick to bite if she feels threatened and is a fearful dog. But i dont see how a muzzle like that can really prevent a bite???

Specially some of the gsds that wear those muzzles and you can tell have serious dog aggression, they still seem like they can do some serious damage with those muzzzles maybe even kill another dog? I saw a gsd wearing one a big male and he used his weight and size and put the fear of god into a dobie. IT took so many people to get him off that dobie who was screaming in terror. I don't know if the dobie was hurt I didnt stay to find out. It just doesn't seem like a great thing to use to protect people from your dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Take away a dogs ability to bite and others who might have been bitten are safer. You'll get bruised up pretty good but not bitten.

·
Registered
32,018 Posts
The nylon muzzles that close the dog's mouth have their place. Using them at the vet or as a temporary aide to moving two dogs that might have an issue, or for use when breeding until the tie, and then it is removed.

I think if you are out for exercise a basket muzzle makes more sense. A dog should be able to pant to cool himself, and he should be able to be comfortable. I have both kinds, but the basket muzzles I have are plastic, and I think too flimsy to make me feel comfortable. The nylon muzzles are light and fold small and you can put two in your pocket, and if you are good, you can slip those bad babies on a couple of bitches in two shakes of a lambs' tail if it becomes necessary.

I think it is just easier to take only one bitch at a time. But I used to be able to slip a muzzle on two bitches while holding them, pretty quick. Once loaded into the car, in their crates the muzzles can come off, and no one needs antibiotics. Yay.

They have their place.

Which is not the dog park.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I thought those were only for restraining for a couple of minutes, such as at the vet's?:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts