German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)
This sunday we're going to a dog's blessing meeting (Not sure how to say it properly) and there will be over 250 dogs the max is 300s dogs. So we just bought our ticket and they gave us this paper with the requeriments to get in and large breed dogs need to use a muzzle. I've never bought one muzzle before this will be my first. So what kind of muzzle should I buy for my 6mo puppy? Ill try to see if i can find it in the petsmall.
And also, my sister keeps saying we should buy the halti. (She just wants it as an excuse for the muzzle) i dont know if the halti is considered a muzzle I don't think so.. Neither i like the idea of using a halti as a muzzle.
Some advice please :)

·
5,627 Posts
A halti isn't a substitute for a muzzle.

If she is going to be wearing the muzzle all day then you need to get one that allows her to breathe, pant and drink easily so a basket type muzzle and not a cloth one.

Muzzles take some time for a dog to get used to. Personally, 3 days isn't enough time in my opinion to get the dog muzzle trained.

Leerburg | How to Select a Muzzle for your Dog

The link above is Leerburg's instructions on how to select, fit and get the dog used to a muzzle.

Be aware that if she isn't used to wearing a muzzle, it could really stress her out having one on in such an overwhelming setting.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Why do they require a muzzle for the blessing? We have one here but there aren't any restrictions like that. Anyway, I'm sure St Francis is blessing your dog every day.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have one that I use when I take Dharma to get bathed and a nail trim. She likes the bath but the blower that dries her after that...not so much. And trimming her nails turns into a massive fight. I have been bitten more then once so that is why I started muzzling her.

The one I use I got at PetSmart and it is cloth mesh. The end is open so she can drink water if necessary. Although she isn't in it long enough for that to happen.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@gsdraven Thanks, he won't be using it all day im going to try my best so that he can get used to it, if it doesn't work then I won't take him there. I'll check the link now.
@Stosh I guess It's for the safety of the small dogs,cats, large breed dogs that are going there. It's not just a blessing. Each dog will be getting a medal, gifts. There will be behaviorist who'll see each dog, etc lol.

And i like the idea of the large breeds dog using the muzzle, who knows what could happen there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh Typo I said It was a dog's blessing but It's a Pet's blessing

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small breeds can also bite!

Did they say what the cutoff point is for a "large" breed? (Just out of curiosity)
Uhmm I just reread and it says that every dog must go with a collar/harness and its leash. Large breed dogs must be wearing a Muzzle according to one of our law which allows them to protect the free domestic fauna. ( Tried my best to translate:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just sent a msg to them and they answered back that unless the dog was a pitbull or a nonsociable dog I shouldn't worry..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts