German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just purchased a Baskerville muzzle to start muzzle training for my one year old. I’m mainly looking to get him comfortable wearing one now in case it’s ever needed in situations like a vet visit, and maybe to use if we are going to be around a lot of kids or non-dog people (he’s the very mouthy type - it’s gentle but understandably some people might not be comfortable with that).

Can you share any resources or advice for muzzle training? Do’s/ don’t’s? What are common mistakes people make when doing it? TIA!

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
I would not make a big deal out of it. I would put some treats in the muzzle and let the dog eat them out of the muzzle. I would do this a few times, then put the muzzle on. Let the dog chase a kong in the muzzle for a few minutes. Then give it a rest. Take the dog for walks in the muzzle and let it get used to it.

Wearing a muzzle is no big deal for a dog. Just put it on a few times before your vet visit and get the dog used to it. Don't over think it, don't worry about it. Just put it on and do normal stuff, go fir walks, play with the dog, do a track or nose work. Normal stuff, it really is no big deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts