German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if anyone thought that we should train our dogs to be comfortable with muzzles? I don't know that I need to use one, but does it really freak a dog out when they have one on for the first time? Should that be something we also "train" them to get use to....just in case one day they need to wear one?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Maybe we should all go and buy prescription glasses so when we need them we will be use to them. hey

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Thanks for your intelligent insight!
LOL, Sorry I just don't see the point for putting my dog through what I feel is a bit uncomfortable if there is no reason to do it. I have had 6 GSD's over the last 30 years and only 1 of them ever needed a mussel and that was with the vets office only.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I have a basket muzzle that I train/condition certain of my dogs to wear. If they need it (say at the vet's) and are used to it already, it makes the visit that much less stressful.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
LOL, Sorry I just don't see the point for putting my dog through what I feel is a bit uncomfortable if there is no reason to do it. I have had 6 GSD's over the last 30 years and only 1 of them ever needed a mussel and that was with the vets office only.
How about a clam? Heh! Heh!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
IMO all dogs should be muzzle trained. After seizures, sudden sickness, accidents, etc you do NOT want to be handling a previously well behaved dog who is now in alot of pain/scared out of his mind/whatever without a muzzle. I want to know that if I have to throw my dog onto a towel/blanket (or carry it)and drag it out of whereever we are I can do it safely for both of us. Think ahead, a muzzle could mean the difference between 10 minutes to the clinic and an hour because the dog won't let you near it.

Edit: I would like to add that yes, I carry a muzzle with me. It is in my 'working' bag, that contains treats, harness, long line, tugs galore, etc. 90% of walks this bag comes with me. 90% of the time, I have a muzzle with me. I have had enough curves in my life to know that you cannot plan for everything, but you can prepare for it. I have never had to use my muzzle on walks or working with her, and I do not find comfort having it with me. It is simply there should I need it.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I feel that muzzle training your dog can prove to be invaluable. I'm training Frag on the muzzle right now because he is having some fear issues with the vet.

I'd rather get him comfortable with the muzzle and take him there in a muzzle than have the vet get bit because he wasn't or scare the crap out of him being muzzled at the vet.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
There is no circumstance where my dog would need to where one so I don't see any point. On the other hand, there are a vast number of dogs out there that should be familiar with wearing one as they think nothing of turning into Cujo at the vet or when asked to do something they don't want to do or when hurt.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
There is no circumstance where my dog would need to where one so I don't see any point. On the other hand, there are a vast number of dogs out there that should be familiar with wearing one as they think nothing of turning into Cujo at the vet or when asked to do something they don't want to do or when hurt.
You may think there isn't one now, but on the random day when your dog decides the vet is lunch, you may wish your dog was familiar with a muzzle.

After over a year of happy times with the vet, my GSD decided to randomly snap and growl at the vet. First time I had every heard him growl. There's a first time for everything.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Why in the world would my dog ever think the vet was lunch? Don't be ridiculous.

Dogs don't just randomly snap and growl. The ones that people say have done this have been giving warning things were getting out of control for some time, but they were clueless.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Why in the world would my dog ever think the vet was lunch? Don't be ridiculous.

Dogs don't just randomly snap and growl. The ones that people say have done this have been giving warning things were getting out of control for some time, but they were clueless.
The warning sign is a growl. For absolutely no reason, Frag did not like the vet on his last visit. She was doing nothing that he's uncomfortable with or strange and all, yet he started growling at her from across the room and snapped while she was checking his ears. He's been to the vet at least 20x in the past doing the same things and never had this reaction.

I know I wasn't clueless and everything was fine until he randomly started growling and wouldn't stop. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Well, let's see. You let your dog get away with growling at the vet so he felt comfortable with snapping without provocation. That's your problem, not mine. Your dog should be muzzled then for the vet's safety.

I am not your average dog owner and this sort of nonsense is not possible with my dogs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. Please don't hijack this thread the wrong way with petty arguments. Thank you

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm muzzle training Skylar. King is used to his. I think it'll be better if anything happens to Skylar that she's muzzle trained before anything happens- so we don't add more fear to the situation. I'm mostly thinking of if she's in an accident or whatever, She has a fearful personality and I don't know what she'd do if she was stressed out and i couldn't calm her down, or especially if i wasn't there. better to be prepared :)

ETA: by muzzle trained, i mean used to the muzzle =)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Well, let's see. You let your dog get away with growling at the vet so he felt comfortable with snapping without provocation. That's your problem, not mine. Your dog should be muzzled then for the vet's safety.

I am not your average dog owner and this sort of nonsense is not possible with my dogs.
*sigh*

And people think I'M up on a high horse?

I'm not an average dog owner either. I've managed his issue and it's resolved, it only happened once, but it only takes once. My dog IS now muzzled for the vets safety and we haven't had another issue yet.

I would like to know what you would recommend for a growling dog? A correction to tell them they shouldn't growl and go straight to a bite? I did not "let" him get away with anything. Your post speaks high to your knowledge on the subject.

Your dogs are not impervious to failure, unfortunately.

Guh, I'm done.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The sad thing is you still think the problem started with your dog growling at the vet. The problem most likely started long before that with little inappropriate things that you either excused or ignored until, OMG!, the dog just suddenly went off at the vet. It's much easier to prevent this problem by getting on it at a very early stage.

I absolutely will correct a dog for inappropriate aggression. Maybe that's why I don't ever have a problem.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. Please don't hijack this thread the wrong way with petty arguments. Thank you
I have always had my dogs accustomed to a muzzle for a just in case situation. I've never needed to use it, but if I ever did, I won't be fighting it then.
Just a little piece of mind if you and/or you're dog aren't perfect.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts