German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some suggestions for good muzzles for an active dog. It would need to be on for longer walks (often 1-2 hours) as well as "regular" walks. He's got a big head! We life in an area with very hot summers and very cold winters
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm starting with a cheapie but have ordered a nice DT freedom muzzle. Starting with treats already to make it positive!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
The freedom muzzle looks pretty identical to the one I have. I like it. The only thing it is missing is some sort of safety mechanism to keep the dog from being able to paw it off. Early in jy dog's training, I would take a piece of wire and loop it through the buckle on the muzzle and the d ring on his collar and twist it snug.

Later I became sure he was not going to try and paw it off so I stopped doing that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestion. We are going nice and slow but my dog is already sticking his nose in the muzzle before I even put the treat in. Guess he really, really likes Puparoni lol.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Something like puparoni might work good for rewarding through the muzzle. I used to use Dogswell jerky (before I heard about it), I could cut it into strips and stick it through the holes pretty easily.

If your dog drops food I pick it up as quick as I can and get it through the muzzle to them so they don't get frustrated that they can't get their treat.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
What's the situation where a muzzle is required?? I used one myself for my dog's "people issue" but it's was a back up "safety" while working with his "issue's" worked out fine ... but what's the "deal" here??? :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts