German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
In regards to what? As a pet? As a sport dog? Health? Temperament?

Mutt and mix breed are the same thing unless you consider a mutt an unintentional mix of multiple possibly unknown breeds and a mix and intentional crossing like any of those "oodle" mixes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean like in regards to what you prefer; like if you had the choice between getting a mutt, a mix (I mean a designer dog; ex. Goldendoodle), or a purebred which one would you choose.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
There are perfect mutts and purebred dogs. Mixes are just "mutts" with good advertising and marketing. Two of the best dogs I've ever had were mutts, a German Shepherd/Elkhound and a Cocker/Terrier. My German Shepherds are amazing and I can't imagine life without them. It's all just timing and life in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'd go for character and temperament over breed or heritage. Size of the dog may be a factor. A heavy or non shedder (depending on coat type) may be a consideration. I live in a sub tropical climate, currently it is very hot and humid. A dog that wasn't pure black and double coated would cope better in my climate.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I love our girl but tbh a GSD was not on my list of breed of dog to get this time around. GSD was the husbands choice. All of our previous dogs were mixed breed/mutts. Loved them, best dogs ever. I grew up with mostly mutts. Only pure bred dog I remember fondly was our collie (Lady). My mom had a couple pure GSDs one of which was a it psycho from what I'm told. I do remember having to bottle feed her litter because she tried to kill them all. As a kid we had a Lhaso Apso that had the devil in his soul. Meanest little S**t ever...he was a biter. Probally the reason I really don't like small dogs to this day. I really prefer mutts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts