German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking for any/all help/advice - we have a 7 month old GSD who we have had since he was 5 months. From what I can gather his first 5 months were pretty bad for him although I can't be sure exactly how he was raised up until this point.
He has always chased his tail which we originally thought was "puppy behaviour" until it started to get so bad that he would literally grab hold of his tail, bite and injure to the point there would be blood everywhere. We've now come to learn that this is actually mutilation of his tail but we can't be sure what has caused this behaviour. It has gotten so severe that he is having his tail amputated tomorrow morning from vet recommendation and I'm just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this before? He's such a good boy and he deserves the best possible life but I'm petrified that he will move onto something else with his tail not being an option anymore.
Thank you.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
Unfortunately, OCD behavior is in our breed. Tufts University did a study on it several years ago. Amputating his tail will not stop the behavior. Perhaps look the study up and contact Tufts. This is why it's so very important to shut this behavior down as soon as you see it start. It's so sad. I'm sorry you are all going thru this.

·
Super Moderator
7,746 Posts
My family also had to go this route with a Cocker..... tail chasing that eventually led to injury and amputation. As Jax mentioned... it’s only a partial fix, after some time Rocky began to go after other parts of his body and if really charged, the other dogs. Eventually it was managed with Prozac. He remained on it for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Tail chasing and other OCD behaviors could be tied to gastrointestinal issues. German Shepherds are certainly prone to GI issues. Maybe your vet needs to take a more in depth look before removing body parts, that is if they haven't already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts