German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting my puppy this fall, and I'm going to use the next couple of months for preparation. What are the essentials and your favorite things to get before a new puppy comes home?

Thanks!
Erin

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
The book "My Smart Puppy" by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson! EXCELLENT book, an easy and fun read-- gives you super-easy homework to do at home with your new baby puppy. This book totally holds your hand about raising the little pup. This book saved my sanity when I got Grimm at age 9 weeks LOL!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
A good baby gate would be first on my list.

Next if this was my first pup, I would start checking out dog training classes and ask about upcoming puppy classes. Explain that you are waiting to receive your puppy and would like to sit in on a class session so you can get an idea of her class structure, etc.

Next, I would call all of my friends and relatives in the area and get everyone's imput about the local vets and where the nearest emergency vet is located. You do not have to approve of the emergency vet, just know where they are. But for your own vet, it is best to find someone you like and trust.

Next, I would find a dog club in the area, or a GS club. Start going to meetings, maybe find out about puppy matches. Once you have your puppy, and it has a couple of sets of shots, taking it to puppy matches is a great idea. For one thing, this is not a dog park free for all. Most of the people at puppy matches are at least a little more dog-savy than your average dog park clientel. Not saying there aren't good people at a dog park, but on any given day, you can have any idiot do any number of insane things. Puppy matches and obedience and rally runthroughs have the dogs on lead, unless they are advanced and in the ring, and tons of people who know and care about dogs there.

Now that you have your baby gate, your trainer, your vet, and your support group/socialization group, a crate of an appropriate size or a grow with me type crate, stainless steel water and food bowls, hard rubber toys, squeaky toys, soft toys, and bones for chewing, a martingale collar and a lead, and a long line would be the essentials before the pup came home.

If your yard is not fenced, you may consider creating a fenced in area for your pup, a small area where you can open the back door into it is nice so you do not have to leash the pup to take it out there. Also having some area fenced makes a great place to play with the pup with outside toys, or to relax with your pup and not having to be constantly vigilent as you will need to be inside.

Good luck with your pup. Waiting is hard, isn't it. There is plenty of things to do to prepare though. You could spend the ENTIRE time researching dog foods and ingredients and becoming a nutricianist. I would not suggest it. You could find the absolute best food out there only to find your pup doesn't care for it. Still, there is no time like the present to choose a few brands and varieties of dog food for your new pup.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Chew toys - these dogs CHEW!

Rope tugs, one for everyone's pocket to redirect the puppy when s/he wants to chew on you

Travel crate for bringing puppy home and riding safely in the car for vet and socialization trips

We're getting our pup in 2 1/2 weeks (I have not burst yet!) so I'm currently scoping out socialization spots where my kids and older dog are welcome.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaWe're getting our pup in 2 1/2 weeks (I have not burst yet!) so I'm currently scoping out socialization spots where my kids and older dog are welcome.
Isn't the wait horrible!?! Ugh!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I too am waiting for my puppy in early Fall. The wait is tough, but I've had plenty of time to buy all sorts of things my little guy will need! I think I had better add paper towels (in bulk) to the list!

I also think Nature's Miracle is an awesome product.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Bump the checklist -
Add Johnson's baby shampoo (my groomer suggested this - let me know if it's not the right thing to do!)

I need the enzyme cleaner & quikcrete for that spot on the driveway where the gate is too high and puppy could sneak out.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
How about a bed and blanket?
Can you send the blanket a week before She/He comes to have put with mom and the siblings?

first aid kit and grooming supplies.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
When we went for pick day last weekend, we brought up a stuffless stuffy and a baby size booda tug. Problem with the stuffy was Morgan stole it out of the bag and ran around with it for a few days. Maybe it can be a 2 way street? We sent the smells of soon to be big sister's spit to the puppy

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: KCandMaceHow about a bed and blanket?
Can you send the blanket a week before She/He comes to have put with mom and the siblings?
That's a good idea! I didn't even think about that at all.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Add a box of baby wipes to the list.

My 7 year old has had terrible stomach today, baby wipes have been very helpful. That and the nature's miracle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts