German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else play classical music for their GSDs?

Quite by accident we found out recently that our GSDs like classical music. We had the radio on a CM radio station and noticed that the dogs were very calm even though our 11 y/o male usually starts pacing when a storm is approaching. So now we have the CM radio station on 24/7 :D

Yesterday, he was grumbling. He usually grumbles when his kong needs a peanut butter refill so my wife went down to the laundry room to check on him (we have a big laundry room and it's the coolest room in the house). It turns out the radio was full of static so she adjusted the dial. Once good music was restored, dog stops grumbling.:laugh:

I'm wondering if new age music might work as well? Church music? Native American drums? Gregorian chants?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I've left the radio on when leaving and the dogs seem to like it, but I've never specifically tried classical music though...interesting.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yes! I finally found a classic station when I was searching iheartradio on our Windows 8.

KUSC out of Los Angeles plays a really nice selection. The first time I played it for a while, Molly did seem a bit more mellow stayed in the room where the music was coming from.

Our local radio stations have terrible music choices, almost 50% Spanish speaking, classic rock from the 70's -who wants to listen to the same music for 35 years? Christian rock and country which all sounds the same to me. Classical was pulled a few years ago. Anyway, I find the internet is a much better source for music now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
As my dog is pacing my office and trying to climb in my lap I turned on a classical Iheart radio (Neo Classical) and he laid down. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

:happyboogie:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would like to add a comment that my dog was all over the place pacing, trying to climb in my lap, on my desk and since I turned this on he has laid quietly the cat is even at the door pawing and meowing and he is not even getting up. I really believe this may be the best thing since sliced bread. This here is exactly what I like about this forum, getting new ideas and information you may have never thought of. I am amazed.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
During a really bad thunder storm I put on sound scapes music. Apache is terrified of thunder. The calming effect of the music was so strong, he even ate his dinner.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I turn on the beautiful-music-easy-listening? channel on my satellite TV when I leave for work. IDK how calm it keeps them, but the neighbor says she has noticed reduced barking since I started. Could be it just helps filter some of the ambient noises they react to. I'm going to see whether I have a classical channel!

·
Registered
233 Posts
We play whatever music is on my playlist and he usually mellows out. Leaving music playing while we are gone is about the only way we can leave him and he won't bark or whine the entire time. I'll have to see if classical has a better calming effect for my guy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I now remember reading a few years back of zoos playing classical music. So I just googled it:
Classical music: Elgar helps calm zoo elephants | Science | guardian.co.uk

Big cats find classical music relaxing - Classic FM Music News and Features

We have 3 very drivey working line GSDs and we've been finding that CM helps them settle inside the house.

I joke to my wife that it's because some of the greatest composers were German: Beethoven, Brahms, Bach, Handel, Wagner, etc., Mozart was Austrian but close enough ha ha

·
Registered
27 Posts
My secret weapon is Andrea Bocelli <G>. I was watching one of his concerts on PBS and Maggie was being a little brat. The minute she heard his voice, she laid down on my feet and went right to sleep ... and so did my feet.

It's a good thing I love classical music and opera because they certainly do come in handy and definitely tame "the wild beast"!

Susan

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Here, try this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts