German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered how much the volume of music in the car affects a dog's ears. I know they're very sensitive, and I never play my music too loud, but I was just wondering how loud or soft everyone here plays the music in their car while their dogs are riding. Also, are there certain kinds of music that you'll listen to when alone but won't listen to with the dogs? Like the deep bass of rap or the screaming guitars of heavy metal? What do y'all think?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Funny... I was recently wondering the same thing. I try to avoid Opera (not hard to do) when Ruby is in the car. When she hears it she looks at me like "is that guy alright?". Anything with a frantic beat I avoid too. (but only in the car- at home I'll play whatever).

On the flip side, I've noticed she's partial to Dire Straits
Wierd, but she seems to like it. She just smiles and relaxes looking out the window.
As far as loudness, I either switch the speakers to play only up front -she's in the back, or I don't play it really loud. Too loud, is when you're drowning out road noise. But that's always bad. You gotta be able to hear some road, beeps, sirens, etc..

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Enya. Played softly.

When Camper was a pup, I put him in his crate for naps and I tried a variety of types of music in the stereo at home to help soothe him. Classical, country, soft rock. Nah, he didn't respond to any of those. But, oh, he loved Enya (Iona, etc). He'd just close his eyes and snooooooooooze....

Now, especially on long trips, I plug in the i-pod, turn down the volume (fading it forward), and Camper snuggles down for a nice relaxing ride. Eyes half mast, ears tipped outward, slight soft smile on his face. Pretty cute.

Zamboni doesn't pay any attention to music (or NPR on the radio) at all. Grover used to LOVE rock music (which I admit I probably used to play too loud) probably because we used to happily sing, belting out the lyrics as we drove down the road. She'd have a happy grin, her head sort of bouncing along, like she loved U2 as much as I do!

·
Super Moderator
32,029 Posts
D & K are partial to the Grateful Dead. Loud.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
mine have their heads out the window and can care less what i'm playing or how loud.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I rarely listen to the radio in the car, but on our last road trip I turned it on. Not loud, but it was a station called The Wolf which plays country music. Well, you guess it, after a song they played the howling of a wolf- def. a wrong move on my part! Next thing I knew all three of them were howling bloody murder in my car
I quickly turned the radio off but it was too late...they continued to howl on.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't usually listen to music while in the car. When I do it's oldies music ( my mums choice, not mine) and it's loud, but I think Yukon could care less, he just wants to know where we're going, when will we get there and does it include him at all.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I usually try to keep it low for her, she hates the car to begin with.

BUT....certain music just can't be quiet. Disturbed, Slipknot..I like metal, and I like it loud.

She doesn't seem to mind. There is always music on in the house, I think she's used to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts