German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We have two german shepherds that we absolutely love. Our older one, Charlie, is 4 years old and unfortunately has a vast array of musculoskeletal issues that we are trying to address. He naturally has a very large and wide frame due to genetics. So that brought about many issues. He has hip dysplasia in both hips, though it's much worse in the right hip. He has already torn his right ACL and had a TPLO done. His left ACL is partially torn and will eventually need a TPLO there as well. He also has arthritis, which is most severe in his wrist. He was never fat, but he has been on a diet to lose weight as advised by our vet. Though he is currently thin, he is still 125 pounds due to his large frame. To manage the pain, he is on Rimadyl daily. As far as supplements, he is on Glucosamine, MSM, Turmeric, CoEnzyme Q10, and Salmon Oil daily. We are feeding him grain free salmon taste of the wild, 1.5 cups twice a day. He is also on apoquel daily due to horrendous skin allergies.

He is my absolute best friend. I love him so much and I am so tired of seeing him in pain. His favorite thing in the world is fetching the ball, but he can't do that because it increases the rate of degeneration and causes a lot of pain. So we've been taking him on many car rides, his second favorite thing. He is only 4 years old, he deserves to run around and be happy.

My question is, what can I do to help him with the pain? Any other supplements that you all think would help? Any other food that is better for him? Him and his sister bring us so much joy and we want to do all we can to give them the best life possible. They are our kids. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts