German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocky turned six years old in April and I've started noticing that his rear end looks like the rump of an old horse. He's got a nice waistline and you can feel his ribs easily; we walk every morning and I throw the ball for him in the afternoon. I would have thought all that sprinting after the ball would keep his hindquarters strong, but evidently not. Is there anything else I can do to fix his "nag rump?"

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom Is there any reason to think he's not structurally sound? That there's any sort of weakness or other issue?
No. He's never taken a lame step in his life

Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom
Swimming. Uses a whole different set of muscles. Tones and firms!

If not, try climbing hills too.
He loves to swim, not sure where I can find a place around here were he'd be allowed to, but I'll start looking. We live in a huge flat plain, so hills are out, though. I don't even know where to find a hill around here.
Too bad.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: roxy84another thing to consider if you feel he is losing muscle mass is a higher protein food if you're not already feeding one. some studies seem to indicate as dogs age they need higher protein levels to maintain muscle mass. just a thought.
Ah, that's good to hear. I'm in the process of switching from Canidae to TOTW right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.