German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick brag, had a great time with Murph on our first two scent trailing sessions. First time out we did two scent circles and then led a trail to the scent circle. I thought he did great, kept his nose to the circle, found all the treats and then followed the trail to the circle afterward. He seems to hate hot dogs, refusing to eat them, but he followed the scent anyway. Our second time out he followed my/mywife/hotdog scent to find us in hidden locations and found us 3 out of three times. He was soooo exhausted afterward, so I think he was really using that noggin. I don't have any pics of the training, but here are some we took that day...

So excited to go work...

Good find

Relaxing cool water after the walk.

Practicing stay with his big bro (20 yards away)

Such a handsome boy, so proud of this guy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Named after Audie Murphy, the decorated WWII soldier and later actor.
Ah cool!

I thought it might have been Mike Murphy, Navy SEAL MOH recipient for Operation Redwings. I was interested b/c we are naming our new GSD Axelson (Axe for short) after Matt Axelson, one of Mike Murphy's teammates who perished on that mission.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah cool!

I thought it might have been Mike Murphy, Navy SEAL MOH recipient for Operation Redwings. I was interested b/c we are naming our new GSD Axelson (Axe for short) after Matt Axelson, one of Mike Murphy's teammates who perished on that mission.
That's the one that the annual Crossfit workout is named after right?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great progress with your puppy. He is beautiful and happy looking.
Thank you wolfy! We love him so much. He goes everywhere with me, including to work. Now he's gotten to the point that he barks at me when he needs to go pee so no more accidents in my office. He's still a bit undersized at 3.5 months and 30lbs, but that may turn out to be a blessing. We've given him free reign of the house for now (except for the closets) and he hasn't chewed anything or made any messes. He wakes my wife up during the night when he needs to go outside by gently pawing her, its so sweet...like he doesn't want to wake us both up.
Life with a German Shepherd is much different than any dog I've had before. I don't think I could go back to other breeds after this.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
At 3.5 months he doesn't need to go outside in the middle of the nigh, as long as he gets his last outing at around 10.30 PM or so, he can make it though the night until at least 6.00 AM. As long as he is healthy, he may have formed a habit for his nightly break. Being crated at night will help with that unless you don't mind.
And yes, once you have had a good GSD there is no comparison anymore, even though I loved all my dogs.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
We've taken up trailing with our dogs, too. We love working out the scent puzzles. Luckily our trainer will take photos when she can. I am considering a go-pro to wear so I can rewatch my dog afterwards. I am still missing cues in my dog's body language. I'm looking for the trail myself instead of trusting my dog to do all the work.

Your pup is adorable. I hope you find a great group to practice with.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are definitely right about the night time break as he can hold it no problem when he's in his crate. But my wife says she doesn't mind getting up to let him out for a few minutes so I suppose there's no harm in it. I do like that he's communicating with us and trusts us to know what he's wanting, very smart.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hang in there car2ner! It does take time to learn how your dog works and their body language in target odor... But oh the joys when you know your dog and the line is your umbilical chord to them, such a wonderful communion between species occurs.. But it does take many many trails, many mistakes and lots of learning... Well, we are always learning... ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts