German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been trialing my Doerak in Rally Novice A and we just finished our RN Saturday with all scores in the 90's. During the award presentation for the Excellent and Advanced classes, there was one lady working on her 10th RAE(?). What is the point of that? Ten, I mean. She keeps getting 100 and 99, and seems to me she's just taking up space and ruining it for the other trialers by eliminating the blue ribbon for anybody else (unless somebody else can get a 100 and be faster than her). Really, how many blue ribbons does somebody need! Doerak will never get a blue ribbon for anything and I really wouldn't want to make him trial forever just so we can get one. We have better things to do with our life - like chasing the Kongs. OH! Does this have anything to do with being on TV?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
No, nothing to do with being on TV.

To get the RAE title, one must compete in both Rally Excellent and Rally Advanced classes at the same show and earn a qualifying score (leg) in both of these classes at the same show, 10 times. So, that means that when she earned her 10th RAE leg (having qualified in both Excellent and Advanced classes the same day), then she earned her RAE title.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Many people just enjoy competing with their dogs. It's their hobby. In many venues, there is a top title with no further to advance past that. So people will repeat the same title over and over, working on getting better scores and putting on better performances because it allows them to compete and do what they enjoy with their dog.

They're certainly not doing it to ruin it for anyone else, or to get on TV. They're just doing it because they enjoy it.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris WildMany people just enjoy competing with their dogs. It's their hobby. In many venues, there is a top title with no further to advance past that. So people will repeat the same title over and over, working on getting better scores and putting on better performances because it allows them to compete and do what they enjoy with their dog.
Yes, exactly! There are people I see regularly at trials who are working on RAE7, RAE4, etc., and that's why they continue to do it.

It's also good for the dogs to keep working. Rally is a good venue for older dogs because it is relatively low impact and they can still participate and do well, even if they aren't as agile as they once were. For example, there's a 10 year-old GSD with DM that I see at trials all the time and I'm sure he's finished his RAE by now. (He also has a UD) I first saw him last year and, I swear, he looks so much better physically now than he did back then. He almost always places too, which is very nice to see.

In Exc. B and Adv. B, I was always up against dogs with multiple RAEs and also UDX's and, yes, they do take a big share of the placements. But I don't care much about placements and I see it as more of a training issue. I don't train nearly as much as they do and I certainly don't train to that level of perfection because I do other sports with my dogs and I don't make the time to do so.

I think the original intent of rally was to encourage more people to enter traditional obedience, rather than to become a serious venue. However, it has taken a life of its own and really taken off. To me, the more people trying it out for the first time or staying in it for years, the better. It's just great to see people out there doing things with their dogs.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppyShe was on her 94th leg!
Lol! I always wonder how people doing that many RAE's can afford it. I figure it costs about $500 in entry fees for each RAE, providing you Q all the time.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Originally Posted By: agilegsds
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppyShe was on her 94th leg!
Lol! I always wonder how people doing that many RAE's can afford it. I figure it costs about $500 in entry fees for each RAE, providing you Q all the time.
And that's JUST the entry fees! Up here I have to travel at least 150 miles one way for almost all trials, and then I have motel costs too. I'd have to have a lot of money to waste.

Personally I don't continue to show past the RE or the UD for that matter. I like new material - either a new challenge with the same dog, or starting with a new dog. That's just me. I remember when they first started talking about the UDX and I was excited that there was going to be something more to work on past the UD, and then I found out it meant you just continued to show in the same classes ad naseum until you had ten DQ's. To me, that's just a money maker for AKC and not a new challenge in training. I will admit that it shows a level of consistency and commitment on the part of the dog and handler, but it would have been far more interesting to me to see them think up NEW exercises instead of just doing open and utility over and over.

I feel the same about the RAE. I've already shown that my dog can do the exercises, so I'm just not too interested in doing it over and over just so that the kennel club can rake in more money. Now, if they offered a new class with new exercises that would be fun for me! I'd like to see them have a class where the dogs have to heel on the right as well as the left (which they do in some venues, but not AKC) and do some new exercises that challenge us to train beyond what we've already trained.

I'm so darn demanding! *LOL*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
BlackPuppy I really have to agree. I think that RAE should have their own classes. But really, I think they do in a way.

What really bums me out is dogs with an advanced obedience title working in Rally Novice. Come on guys, if the dog is a UDX, it can certainly heel around the ring with you and get a 99 or 100. I think Rally Novice A and B should be for Rally Novice dogs, not dogs with titles, obedience or agility.

Rally is the stepping stone into obedience and agility. Going up against these dogs can be discouraging.

I titled Rushie, Arwen, and Babs at the Madison shows so I titled all three in Novice A, because I did them concurrently. Rushie placed first, second, and third in his three legs. Arwen did not qualify my first time out because I stupidly skipped a station, but she placed second (to Rushie) fourth and fourth again in her next three tries. Babsy placed first and second and had a qualifying score (#5 behind Arwen). This was enough to really get the bug going with me.

So then Jenna had to compete in Rally Novice B. Ok, fine, she is more of an agility type dog with lots of energy and lots of fun (mischeif) and I wasn't expecting miracles out of her. Still I placed third (only because we qualified and there were only three dogs in the shepherd specialty). I got a ribbon though and she had taken second at a match so I was pretty happy with her.

But Whitney and Heidi got three straight green ribbons each. The competition was tough in Cleveland. We did not come close to placement. Both of them were better than Jenna. But these were puppies, and fresh, going against dogs with obedience titles, and agility titles. Dogs with half the alphabet after their names. Sure that is nice, but they should start in Rally Advanced B.

If you have one dog, then you can enter that one dog a bazillion times, and spend the rest of your life training that one dog. You should come away with blue ribbons. Training eight dogs and titling six dogs in a year is a bit different, and green ribbons still provide you with an RN at the end of the day. They are not quite as pretty on the bulletin board, but that is only because I prefer the colors red and blue to green.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I guess I see it differently that most others. If you feel that these folks are taking all the ribbons and glory of winning, WORK HARDER. They shouldn't have to stay home just because you can't beat them. That isn't their fault.

This isn't directed at anyone inparticular. Just coming from someone that has been on the receiving end of the exact same complaints. (And this was before there was even such a thing as Rally.) The way I see it, you can either "suck it up" and continue yourself, or the complainers can be the ones to stay home.

The way I felt was if folks have trouble with me and my dogs beating them all the time, TOO BAD. And with me, the complaints were coming from folks with the "usual suspects" for obedience dogs. Goldens, Shelties and Papillions. They also usually only had 1 dog they were training and showing and I had 3. I had a German Shepherd, a Standard Schnauzer and a German Shorthaired Pointer.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I say good for her. She probably is having a blast.
At first when my boxer started agility everyone overlooked her and just worried about the border collie's. As we were working towaords our RAE title some lady asked when I was going to retire my dog.
SHE WAS ONLY THREE! Twice at events I have heard "
, she is here." Go buy a blue ribbon if that is all it is about.
I took two years off because of two ACL injuries so we started back slow. Ava is just a natural athlete. If you want to beat her just meet us in the obedience ring. She does have her CDX but it was a hard road. Now I realize you should concentrate on what the dog enjoys. Obedience was a drag for Ava and I feel guilty I forced her to do it.

I will do better by my shepherd. I was hoping for shulzhand but it looks like he will be too laid back. He is probably going to be my obedience champ or resident couch potatoe.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ohmygosh. I misunderstood the question in my original response. LOL

Either way, I agree with the "if you want better placements, work harder" camp. I have always thought of going for the RAE as a waste of time and money. However, with our agility class just starting, we are months away from getting to compete with Apollo in agility. Until then, we have decided to work on his RAE. It means we get to keep working in a ring, and get the chance to make every ring experience no pressure and much fun! When he is ready for agility, that's where he'll go and we'll stop trialing in Rally.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Yep good for her!!!!

I would like to see AKC institute a C class like UKC but that is not likely anytime soon.

I have been beaten by UDX dogs in Rally etc but as a good sport I am happy for them.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not much of a competitor, I was thrilled to get a couple of place ribbons. It was very unexpected. It just seems awfully repetitive to do the same thing 94 times. And trials are such a huge waste of time. I did enjoy chatting with people, but I'm a single woman with 3 dogs and a messy house. I have other things to do.

I guess I did have an similar obsession at one time. One year I went to 22 Weird Al Yankovic concerts and also traveled to Australia to have that distinction. So, I'm not totally innocent.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I do not think I could sit through one Weird Al Yankovic concerts let alone 22!

That is what makes life so interesting. There is something for everyone.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
He he. I love "Weird Al."

I don't know that I could go to 94 trials doing the same thing though. Repeating a title once or twice. . .maybe. But I'd rather move on and do something else with the Mutt.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I am a big Weird Al fan too. I once thought I outgrew him and gave my friends son all my weird al cassettes.

I then had to replace them. Sick. I heard he has an album out now that I do not have.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have been and will be on both sides of the fence.

Last year, at my 1st ever obedience trial (Novice A) at our local GSD specialty show Kati and I had to compete against a dog with a SCH1 - I was more then upset
when I found out.

Between then and now we managed to get ou CD

Getting the CDX is another story, Kati is really an "airhead"

and a big Momma's Girl.

So I decided not to stress her out training CDX stuff.
To make a long story short, we are going to our first Rally Trial in a couple of days, at our local GSD Specialty show where the SCH1 dog tried to show off in Novice A last year - but NQ'd for breaking the downstay

I can already hear it now: Whats a dog with a CD doing in Rally Novice B ?"

More power to you Kati

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Just have fun!!!!

I Love to train my dogs. The title is icing on the cake. The training builds the bond not the title!!!

Kayos earned her CD with a pretty good score well over 190, she was 2nd in Nov B. A year later at the same show my friend earned her CD on a dobe. Placed first in Nov B with a 171!!! No one else qualified! It happens! Just have fun and do the best you can. NO one sees the score and it won't be on the title certificate!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Originally Posted By: KathyW NO one sees the score and it won't be on the title certificate!
This is especially good when you get to the Utility A class .. *L* .. it's not unusual up here to be the only qualifier and both of the dogs I earned UD's on earned theirs with three first placings! The title photos look mighty good with those blue ribbons, and I don't even remember the scores (good thing!) .. *G*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
You know the joy is in the accomplishment of the training . I never go into the ring thinking about placements. I go in to show off my dog's training. If we have a bad day that is okay if we win that is great, but not the real reason I am there.

I am not a very competitive person but I do want to show so I like that my title is just as valuable as someone's whose dogs were first every time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts