German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reaching out in the hope that somebody might have a clue on this one? This week end I have had to have 2 of my girls spayed due to Pyo. The first girl was on Friday. She was 3 1/2 years old and had one litter 6 months ago. The second was on Saturday and she is 5 1/2 years old and had one litter 2 years ago. She had been mated on the 11th December and 13th December. Of further note was that her sibling was also spayed for pyo in a very similar situation. She was bred at around 3 1/2 years of age (first breeding) and which also resulted in an emergency pyo spay, again approx 25 days post tie. These are all young dogs and the only exacting criteria is the male? The vet is at a loss to explain it as indeed am I. Anybody have any thoughts on this one please. Both girls are doing well and I'm grateful for that (both cases of open pyo). This just seems at odds with usual cases of pyo as in older dogs., and especially as the youngest one had a litter of puppies 6 months ago? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Are they related genetically? Do they cycle with each other?

I'm glad they are doing well, breeding without taking seems to predispose a dog to pyo. Other than that, I can't see how the male could have an influence?

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
It sounds to me like the same male was used in both cases of post breeding pyro. This would suggest that he is infecting the bitches or that something in the home environment is being carried to the bitches during the breeding. Two of the females were related --- is the third female closely related, too? Perhaps their specific genetics give them a sensitivity to whatever specific bacteria is causing the infection.

Simply speculation on my part, but that is what the OP asked for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for replies. The male is not related at all. I have two bitches who are siblings both open pyo post mating. All my other dogs are not related to the male. The co-efficiency of the breeding were all 0.1%. The breed average being 3.1%. Having multiple bitches they do tend to synchronize. Any speculation is fine as that's all I can expect, it's just helpful to get a few ideas as the vet does not have a clue like myself. I've googled ad-nauseam and I cannot find anything at all to suggest it could be my boy, but that is the only common denominator. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Just a thought- but could there be different types of pyo? Older bitches get pyo because of cysts on the ovaries that develop after not being bred (hormonal)... but for a younger bitch perhaps a novel type of bacteria- introduced by the stud, could be the cause? Can you run a culture on the male? I think that might be my first step.

·
Registered
867 Posts
They were all bred to the same male? To me as others have said I would think the male is likely carrying something that is causing the infection. If you don't own the male I'd contact who owns him and let them know their dog may possibly have an std basically and ask if they've had similar reports from other people they've studded to. If this isn't acturate ignore this post.

If they were studded to different males I'd be worried about some sort of bacteria that was exposed to the females at some point. If you still have access to any of the infected material and could get it and see what's in it causing infections it could be helpful in understanding what's going on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the insights. It is the same male. He is my boy, and I think I will follow some sound advice offered and get him tested. I've done a quick google and seemingly up to 70/80% of the canine population is affected by the most common std the Canine herpes virus. Brucellusis is seemingly rare and CTVT apparently is more endemic where there are lots of free roaming dogs. it goes without saying that he is a fit and active boy however as the canine herpes virus is a non core vaccine it does not get routinely given. I'll phone the vet tomorrow and arrange for a blood test as I think I need to do this now, even for piece of mind. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and I will post his results when I get them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts