German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has taught their dog in different languages?

Thinking about teaching my mal in dutch or German too. And using those commands as 'working' commands. Use them when working use English when at home ?

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
English, hand signals, and some German here and there :D It's fun!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
English, hand signals, some German for formal behaviors and a made up word for the command "come". Some family members were lax with command follow through so I saved myself and Sonny some frustration and just changed the word. It worked out well for us.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Taught my dog in English initially. Then "converted" to Russian and use exclusively Russian now. She still remembers the English versions. Bi-linugal dog.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Taught rosko in English. The recall in English is simply ROSKO COME. The informal is here boy, or hyai, or just rosko. When I started e-collar training I needed to come up with another recall so I chose VON MIR. Which simply means by me in german. Both VON MIR and ROSKO COME are very reliable. ROSKO COME he runs and sits at attention in front of me. VON MIR he just comes with in reach. That's the only phrase.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Trying to give Mila commands in German but find myself using my home language of Afrikaans(South African Dutch) which is close to German.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here the commands are
Hundekommandos
Dog Commands in German
With pronunication guide
DEUTSCH
ENGLISH
AFRIKAANS
Komm Come Kom
Nein! No! Nee
Fuß! Heel! Voet
Sitz! Sit! Sit
Platz! Down! Plat
Bleib! Stay! Bly
Bring! Fetch! Bring
Aus! Out Uit
Gib Fuß! Shake hands! Gee voet
Voraus! Go! Vooruit/Gaan

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Who has taught their dog in different languages?

Thinking about teaching my mal in dutch or German too. And using those commands as 'working' commands. Use them when working use English when at home ?

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I do. With two of my dogs, German is reserved for me and working. My wife can give the dogs commands in English. I can use either, but when working or at a trial, it is the German commands. My wife will not reinforce the commands, so she will not give the dogs any commands in German.

With the third dog I use Dutch, and I am the only one giving him commands. He does not know any English commands yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am teaching primary household commands in English. If I decide to pursue competition, the precision version of commands will likely be in German. There's a big difference between the heel I want when we go for an hour long jog vs the impractical head-cranked focused heel of a competition. I first heard this suggestion in a Michael Ellis video and have since learned that quite a lot of people have two versions of commands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts