German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do many of you that have 3 or more dogs keep them in the house or are they kenneled. I am adding a 4th gsd and my 3 now do live in the house with free access except at night. We can leave them free and go out and NEVER any damage. My dogs have never been to a dog kennel.

The house has to be cleaned twice a week for obvious reasons.

In talking to the breeder I said how many live in your house and he said none. VERY INTERESTING considering he has some famous dogs..He said the Germans have kennels attached to the house in many cases.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have four in the house. Never had any problems other than constantly sweeping up dog hair. We do kennel them whenever we head out of town which isn't often.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My 3 stay in the house, and it's a tiny house, and a constant cleaning battle.

And lately, if I don't crate Jack, I will find an accident when I get home. Frustrating.

I tried an outdoor kennel, but the neighborhood has too many loose dogs, and my yard isn't fenced so the neighbors complained when I left them in the locked kennel for a couple of hours to drive into Houston and pick my son up from the airport. Turns out, one of the neighborhood dogs was sitting in my yard outside the kennel, taunting them the whole time. Aargh.

I have considered moving my outdoor kennel next to a window that's pretty low to the ground so they can jump in and out while I'm gone, like a doggie door...but I worry too much for that, at least when I'm not home.

I think the only solution I have come up with is my plan to move to a bigger house where the floofies can fly off into further corners, and with a darker shade of tile floor that won't show every single speck of dirt they track in.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have 3.

Mine are crate trained and spend the night in there as well as when we are out of the house. Duke occasionally stays out in the room at night with us. My two females don't get along, so we do crate and rotate here. It works just fine.

Our crates are indoors, in their own room. A/C at 72*, fan that is on whenever it's hot out, and their crates are very large compared to them.... so I don't feel bad for having them in there at night and parts of the day. When they are out, they have free roam of the main part of the house.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I had 3 GSD's and 5 dogs total in the house. They had a dog door to the outside and they did just fine. I currently have 4, two GSD's and two other dogs, again with a dog door. They are all fine in the house.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find it interesting that I think the professional dog people keep their dogs not in the house as pets
JMO

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I currently have 4 dogs and keep them all in the house. We have had up to 9 in the house, including fosters. I don't leave more than one dog out at a time if nobody is home, the others are crated. At night depending the dogs we have, they are either crated or left out.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
At one point I had 4 gsd's, 3 males and one female, free reign of the house when I was and wasn't home, no crating needed, never a problem.

The only dog I have had to keep crated when I am not around is my male aussie who's now 12, he is a poop stirrer, has displaced aggression tendencies, I don't trust him when I'm not here, he's always been crated when not supervised.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I wish I could have more than one. What is your concern about the doggie window? If burglars, no one is dumb enough to break in with 3 scary GSDs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have 3 and they all live in my house, I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I wish I could have more than one. What is your concern about the doggie window? If burglars, no one is dumb enough to break in with 3 scary GSDs.
I worry about them barking at loose dogs, etc., and my one neighbor who hates their barking and just hates dogs, period. I don't think he would harm them, but it's a reminder that there are dog-haters in the world.

More importantly, I don't want to be a nuisance. So far, we have made great strides introducing the neighbors to some very friendly and well-mannered GSDs, and hopefully opening minds. But if they're barking like mad, our local public opinion could change.

And I worry about someone stealing my dogs. Even if I lock the kennel it would only take about 2 mins to walk into my yard and cut the lock and steal yourself a "purebred watch dog." I'm in a rural community with a depressed economy, and it's not uncommon to see dogs chained up outside, riding loose in the back of pickups, roaming free and stealing the neighbors' chickens, etc., commonly associated with the undereducated "I need a big, scary GSD to be my junkyard dog" mentality. I mean, none of mine would go voluntarily, but a couple of fearless good ole boys could manage it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I find it interesting that I think the professional dog people keep their dogs not in the house as pets
JMO
Breeders don't think like pet owners and most breeders house their dogs in kennels (with some rotating in house time). You cannot expect lots of intact breeding animals to get along. The females can be nasty to each other - you don't want multiple stud males hanging out with free roam either...And you have to be careful with males and females because you do not want accidental breedings. So it is most prudent to keep the animals housed separately...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have all 9 of my dogs plus a foster dog in my house. I wouldn't have it any other way! Jacob is my cat chaser though, so when I am gone, he has to be outside or locked up in a bedroom :(

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
2Males and 2Females. No issues whatsoever. They live in the house, each of them has a designated crate, plus I'm taking boarders in. Have two right now, so we have 6 dogs in the house.

It's a lot of cleaning, especially now that everything is muddy outside. All of them get to have a time out in the crate, simply so I can clean and the dogs can get some downtime.

The Malinois is who keeps everyone busy. She's a happy go lucky girl that gets the little ones tired out or shy, fearful dogs to overcome their fears. When they are outside, I'm with them, watching just like I did in Daycare.

Overall, it is very peaceful. For a couple of weeks I had to keep Gizmo completely separated but meanwhile he is fully integrated but won't stay permanently. We are in the process of getting him adopted out since he's a Foster.

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
I am sort of in the middle...I don't have "a kennel"..I do have one kennel in the basement and two runs outside ...but not a kennel per se...dogs live in the house. There is some rotation for free time between females and everyone is (was) crated when I was not home except for whoever was in the basement kennel. Right now, I only have two at home, both older. He is not crated at all anymore, but is not real mobile either...the other, Csabre, pretty much goes with me whenever I leave the house....the rest of my dogs are all with friends/partners as I can't train.

Females are not always compatible....Richard, you may have to isolate the new one from the others....from what I know of her aunt and uncle, they are pretty good with other dogs...I don't know which male is her sire so can't speculate there either. Is your Nick dog the other female? The Nick progeny I bred are all dog social ....but then the female family (Basha and progeny) are all pretty good with other dogs. You will have to do introductions carefully, and be on the alert. I would not let females loose in the house together without supervision - even after they know each other.

Post some pics when you get her!

Lee

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
kinda sad (imho) for the dogs, but likely not practical for breeders to keep all their dogs as house companion animals. i have four, two alpha bitches...live by gate, crate, and rotate. my dear old girl will be leaving relatively soon, then it'll seem like a breeze to have the three. oh yeah, clean, clean, clean.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
"Females are not always compatible....Richard, you may have to isolate the new one from the others....from what I know of her aunt and uncle, they are pretty good with other dogs...I don't know which male is her sire so can't speculate there either. Is your Nick dog the other female? The Nick progeny I bred are all dog social ....but then the female family (Basha and progeny) are all pretty good with other dogs. You will have to do introductions carefully, and be on the alert. I would not let females loose in the house together without supervision - even after they know each other."

My female is 6.5 and very submissive- from Haus Juris- she gets along with my sons female dog when it visits overnight. This Gary 8 month female is a Barry/Lumpi daughter and lives with a male. My Nick dog is very dog friendly and is a male- I have 2 intact males. According to Gary she is very calm in the house which is important.

All my gsds roam the whole house which is big- but I lock the two males behind a gate in the laundry room at night. We leave them alone in the house when we leave and NEVER had any issues!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I recently posed the very same question on a thread in the breeding section and have to say, I have learned everything I know, about this subject from this forum.....well, and from trial and error.

I agree with Wolfstrom....kind of in the middle. I am a breeder and I have 4 dogs.....3 girls and a boy and will grow some more eventually, but I think we have reached critical mass for now.

My dogs are intact and bitches can be bitches, and boys will be boys, but for the most part everybody gets along. Everybody gets to come in the house in the evenings. When somebody is in heat, they spend time rotating from an outdoor run, to the house, to a crate in the house and so on. Sometimes the boy dog, sometimes the girl, but always rotated separately to ensure we don't have any ooopsies litters, and nobody ever gets left by there self with no people time....everybody gets a turn.

We will have less dogs with house time, when my next litter is born, which is due next week because pups are whelped in the house and Mama Dog doesn't want any other dogs near her babies for the first couple weeks.

We will still do rotation, but they will have a few weeks, where they don't get to come in and snuggle with the humans in front of the Tv at night and sleep next to the bed. Mama's with pups get to be Queen of Sheba for a few weeks.:rolleyes:

I love love love having a pack of Shepherds as a part of my extended family in the house, playing outside with us and so on....life is good.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was at the vet today with one of the boys and the staff accused me of being a "collector" if I get a fourth- of course my wife does not know - she will be PISSED-She heads north next month with the female and then I will get the 8 month old after hips etc done and she is spayed. She will meet her in late June when I go north.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts