German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a sweet 1.5 year old male. He loves people and dogs. We have been on the lookout to rescue a female GSD as he loves canine companionship. We saw a female in another province who is around 4. Her temperament sounds very similar to Cooper. She knows her basics and has recall. She is playful but can also just hang out at the house. My question is would this be a good age difference and what are your experiences with age differences?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can’t comment on the age difference really, but we have a 1.5 year old GSD as well who is friendly with people and dogs. We adopted a lab mix last month, but he’s also around the same age as our GSD. They are adjusting well and love to play together … our lab mix isn’t as high energy as our GSD though. He’s quite happy to cuddle on the couch, chew a bone, etc where our GSD looks for constant interaction with us. It’s always hard to say for sure how things are going to turn out. We worked with a rescue organization where we did a 3 week trial adoption. If things really weren’t working with our GSD we could be honest about it and they’d take the dog back into foster care. We were lucky that they are doing very well together.

I’m just having trouble getting used to how dogs play together. I think it looks rough, but they’re having fun and no one is getting hurt. I’m starting to loosen up now … I only break them up when it gets out of control now.

Good luck finding a rescue. It is so rewarding to rescue and give a dog a second chance at life! Our lab mix was 1 day away from being put down just due to over-crowding in the shelter. He’s such an awesome dog! It makes me think about all the other awesome dogs that didn’t get so lucky.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My experience is that it depends on the dogs involved.

Mac ignored every dog I owned. He'd go outside, go potty, pick up his favorite toy and trot around the yard for hours playing by himself. When my three oldest dogs died, even though he had ignored them while they were alive, he went into mourning. He'd go out side, go potty, and just lay down and stare. He continued to ignore the two younger dogs. This went on for months ... I mentioned it to a friend who was trying to find a home for her 15 month old bitch who hadn't passed OFA and we agreed that Faith would be a welcome addition to my family.

When Faith and I got home I slowly introduced her to the boys ... one at a time. First Slider ... no problem. Bruiser ... no problem. Nine year old Mac was the last to meet her. He and Faith sniffed, he ran over, picked up his favorite ball, and he and Faith started trotting around the yard together ... they remained close friends until he died this past December.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I've got 4 dogs ranging from 11 to 1 year old. It depends on the dogs not the age. Introduce the two dogs and see how they do.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have 4 dogs. They are 1, 2, 4, and 9. It will depend on the dogs personalities. Mine are all very similar. The biggest reason that Midnite got sprung from the shelter was his disposition. I fell in love with that right away, I knew he was the right dog....he is VERY energetic, always busy, and very nosey. He gets corrected by the other dogs often and he's learning, slowly but surely. He was at the shelter for a long time, a big part of his puppyhood. If you decide on this one and things are good but not great between the two, give it some time. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 14 1/2 year old and an 8 month old they get along great. It would depend on the dogs in question though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts