Votes: 24 58.5%
  • I have never had a fight-I have a breakstick

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you with multiple dogs (2+) how many of you have had to break up a fight? How serious was the fight?

How many of you with multiple dogs own or have a fashioned breakstick?

For those of you with one dog answer the poll/comment as if you have 2 on the breakstick in the house.

EDIT:

Here's a big factor:
Did the breakstick do its job.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
I have had a few (not a lot) pretty serious fights over the years that I’ve had to break up. (To the point of drawing blood.)

Though some people think breaksticks are necessary, I don’t. I don’t and have never owned pit-bulls or aggressive dogs which is where I think a breaksticks would be necessary.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry for being dumb here, but what is a breakstick?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Previous to having GSD, two of my old dogs used to fight every now and again but never had a breakstick!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
This is the 2nd time I have 3 dogs, both times 2 females 1 male. I have not had a fight and didn't know what a breakstick was.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I have had any number of dog combinations in my house over the years (breeds, sexes, sizes, ages, etc.) including dogs fresh out of the shelter and have never had a fight. A few times I have broken up very serious fights (between dogs other than my own) at dog parks and in public parks but never needed a break stick.

A bottle of water aimed in the eyes of the aggressor with other people standing by to pull the dogs out by their back legs works wonders.

·
Registered
272 Posts
same as bowwow have not had fights between dogs in house, squabbles but nothing a word/yell wont stop. Broken up a fight between others but never had a break stick either.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We've had some squabbles here if they get over-tired, but nothing a loud scolding from one of us didn't put an end to. I wouldn't know how to use a breakstick if I owned one. I know what they are, but would probably resort to grabbing collars if it came down to a real fight. I don't know if that's the right thing to do or not.

·
Registered
32,373 Posts
For those of you with multiple dogs (2+) how many of you have had to break up a fight? How serious was the fight?

How many of you with multiple dogs own or have a fashioned breakstick?

For those of you with one dog answer the poll/comment as if you have 2 on the breakstick in the house.

EDIT:

Here's a big factor:
Did the breakstick do its job.
I have had a few fights between bitches, nothing to speak of in the last four years or so.

A break stick would do nothing for me, I would never run inside to find it and leave the dogs out there fighting.

Fights have sometimes drawn blood, Jazzy and Arwen went at it bad, but that was six or seven years ago. Certainly not worth getting a break stick.

Normally, I take a tail, pull the dog through a gate, and then use the gate to help separate the dogs. I have not injured a tail yet. And this seems to be the safest method of keeping myself intact as well.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
My fights have probably been very very minor compared to some,,the couple of times I have had to step in, while it may not be a good method, I normally grab one by the back of the neck , while YELLING, which is usually enough to make them stop..so again, guess mine are pretty minor..not that I'm complaining;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't know what a breakstick was. :) I Googled it and it wanted to give me results for breadsticks, lol. We've never had a fight break out and we don't own a breakstick (we don't have any breadsticks either). :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be careful, you could stab someone to death with a stale bagette!:laugh:

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The worst fight Chama ever had was with a muskrat! :shocked: That little thing was vicious and it had already bitten her lip and she was really mad! I got Basu away and handed him over to my ex and then went in for Chama. I had to pull her out by her tail. Actually, I had to pull Chama away from a porcupine and a bunny by her tail too.

I would never grab for a collar in the event of a fight--too dangerous. Always grab a tail or the back legs and pull the dog away.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had a few male fights over the years, only one was serious enough to need medical attention. I've heard of breaksticks via an APBT board I used to read but have no idea of what one looks like or how to use them.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I've never had a fight that was so bad that I couldn't break it up by yelling and griping a tail.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Titan hes resently started to pounce on the chiuahuas and claire the bichon. Ig uess hes learnign to handle his newfound prey drive, but its never been violent. It is a bit dangerous for them though cause he weighs 10 times as much, but i just grab him by the scruff and pull him back.

·
Super Moderator
32,802 Posts
Never had a fight, don't own a breakstick. The only reason I know what they are is that we keep having pitbull threads on this board, (or at least threads that end up being about pitbulls even if they weren't intended to be), and where there are pitbull discussions, fights and breaksticks always seem to come up. Even a thread about a fight between a GSD and a lab has veered off course to become about pitbulls. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do like breadsticks. :)

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
No breakstick, several scuffles.
Only one that required medical attn and that was when my first intact male got to be about 18 months and decided to pick a fight with my old Aussie.
I NEVER grab tails (saw 2 dogs in our vet clinic paralyzed by that method).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.