German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who own multiple breeds, (your GSD as well as another breed), do you notice a major difference in the behaviour, personality, willingness to learn and/or obey, drive, etc? And do you LIKE the differences?

We have had many different breeds through the years, fostering and rehab situations.
Currently we have Greta (Lab), Sadie (Toy Poodle) and Zee (German Shepherd).... and over the past five years or so we've fostered Great Danes, Pointers, Dachsunds, and many mixes of mixes... going back to our original heart breeds of Labs and German Shepherds.

Looking at our current pack, with general house behaviour aside, I see a HUGE difference in the work ethic and desires, of all of our dogs.

Sadie.... has never been asked to do anything. She's a pet, and that's that. She's my eleven year old's dog, and is content to lay on the arm of the couch (her throne) and watch her minions go about their lives.

Greta... Greta is my velcro dog. She's obedient and has a massive desire to please me... as long as she can be by my side while she does it. She's got no desire to go off on her own or be left behind. She's a great dog, very quiet and submissive and honestly just wants to make me happy.

Zee... has issues (putting that mildly, huh?). Spending her life up until a couple months ago, doing what she wanted, when she wanted, I still see her having a desire to please. She's super smart and one on one is a fabulous dog. Working her outside, I see a side of her that amazes me. Her desire to WORK is astounding. She loves having a job, loves being given something to do, and she's content to be left at her job and not have me directly next to her, yet appreciates that stay relatively close by.

This afternoon, I was working with Zee, as we're getting ready for DogSports (obedience) this week... and just to see what she'd do, I placed her in a "sit stay" at the base of my driveway, dropped her leash and walked probably about 100 feet to the barn... turned around and walked back to her. She didn't move a muslce.
So, I did it again. This time I walked to the barn and called her to me... she came directly to me.

After our short session, I found myself curious and somewhat amazed, as to the differences between my two dogs.
So, I put Zee up and brought Greta out.

I followed the same routine as I had with Zee. Put Greta in the sit stay, walked towards the barn, turned to return to Greta, and as soon as I turned around, she left her stay and trotted towards me. Greta's just not comfortable with me leaving her like that. She never has been. Gradually, we've worked up to about 45 seconds before she breaks her stay, but it's taken nearly three years to reach even that point. It used to bother me, but I've accepted that she's just not comfortable with being left.

I love that Greta is my velcro dog. I love that she's so devoted to me, and genuinly loves being by my side.... but honestly, I must admit, I'm quite impressed with Zee's attitude and drive (aside from the whole shyness thing inside... but I guess living the life she lived, it's expected that she act differently indoors... and I'm confident that she'll learn and mellow out)

I've had German Shepherds before... years ago. After my boy Murphy died in 2006, then I lost Delilah in 2007, I simply could not bring myself to open my heart to another.... and then when Greta came along in 2010, I was like, WOW, so THIS is what a real VELCRO dog is like.
But I admit, I'd forgotten how much fun owning a WORKING DOG can be.

I've simply have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
ABSOLUTELY!

I have a Weimaraner and two GSDs.

The Weim is my first non-GSD dog ever, and her personality, temperament, and emotional needs are miles apart. Lillian is stubborn, wayward, sneaky, thieving, Sweet!, smart, and cuddly. She is not content unless she is either running around outside, or if inside, some part of her body is draped over some part of my body.

Supposedly, weims and GSDs are both typically velcro dogs. Now, Lillian is pretty attached to me. She's not going to run off anywhere anytime soon...but she is not nearly as "sticky" as my GSDs, who barely ever take their eyes off me. She won't leave our lots, but she will sneak aorund the house where I can't see her so she can squirrel-sit. I can call her back, and she'll stay in sight for about two minutes or so, but as soon as I'm distracted again, she's right back at the base of those trees. MY GSDs on the other hand, are always, always right there with me.

All three of my dogs are crazy smart, but the weim is by far the trickiest dog I have ever known. She will outsmart and outmanuever Jack every time (I know I will probably catch some flak over that on this forum ;)). Recently she was playing keep away from him (he can't catch her no matter how hard he tries - she literally runs circles around him). It was just past dusk and she's a blue so she starts to "disappear" as the sun goes down. Well, just as she zipped past the open screen door, she ducked behind it and hid in the shadows.

Poor Jack raced right past the door, past the picnic table, and made it all way to the kennel about 15 feet away before he realized she was missing, LOL! He stopped in his tracks and looked like, Doh!

Lillian sat there in the shadows until he backtracked, almost found her, and then she jumped out and it was on again!

The neighbor and I laughed for ten minutes straight :rofl:

·
Registered
32,562 Posts
Yes!!! And within the breeds, there are different levels of all of those things as well. I'm pretty stuck on my German Shepherd. Don't think I'll ever own another breed unless I'm to old to deal with it and get a Collie again.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have/had other breeds - still like my GSDs best. I will get a Rottie somewhere along the way (sooner rather than later if certain things fall into place!), but GSDs are it for me. I have had/have Goldens - won't get them again. Just too soft and silly for me. Sport and conformation venues are very important to me, and I want GSDs that I can have fun working/showing :)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I've also had other breeds. None have stolen my heart like the shepherds. I, too, after the loss of my duo said "no more". Nothing can rip your guts apart like the loss of a shepherd. :( So, I got a Pug. She's sweet. She LOVES to cuddle, be held, be petted, and she also plays well and due to her age had a lot of energy!! BUT, she wasn't a shepherd. Grim is my heart. He may not want to be held (although he's having his cuddlly moments!), but he HAS to be near me. He takes 'devotion' to a whole other level. He is becoming fiercely protective of me. I love that he THINKS. He's now wanting to please. He wants to help. He's my right hand man. To me, there is a giant, gaping whole in my life without a shepherd. We're learning 'work' together. We are a team. I love his trust in me to do new things. I love seeing his sense of pride at a job well done. He is fearless. More and more, we are working as one. I can't wait to see how things progress as we go further into this!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
There is a total difference. I've had an Akita, a Dane, a Boxer mixed with stupid, a aussie mix.. and of course many GSD's. I currently have two little lab mixes to go with the GSD's. What a difference. Wish I had gotten one years ago. Love the gentle mouth and sweetheart attitudes. I love my GSD's but even as old as my two are (11 and 7) they are pushy demanding pay attention to me now in your face attitudes are completely different from any other dog. I love it! They are far more expressive and communicative than any other breed that I've had.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've only had the one GSD to compare to my Border collies.
My GSD is more biddable, I tell him to do something and he does it, he wants to please me,
My Border Collies want to please but when you tell them something It's like they have to decide if you really have told them the correct way to do something or if they need to fix the command first.
My GSD is smart but not Border Collie smart.
My GSD has more of an Off switch then the Border Collies. They're both very active but the BC will run rings around the GSD and keep going and going and going......
My GSD is alot more vocal then any of my Border Collies have ever been.
I love alot of things about my GSD and will probably have another in the future, but my heart belongs to the BC and has since I was about 7 years old and watched them herd ducks at the state fair, looked at my Dad and said "One day I'm going to have one of those"

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My GSD and Golden are very similar but different, does that make sense? They are both extremely smart, but I want to say that the golden is more obedient then the GSD...the golden is older and I do expect the GSD to be at his level soon. They are both my velcro dogs, wherever I go they are both there. They both love agility. The golden is always happy and the GSD always wants to play. They are both laid back, but ready to go whenever. Now my oldest is mostly Samoyed and she is the independent one, but very smart. She has always been hard to stay ahead of. She has no formal obedience training, but she is obedient, but less likely then the GSD or Golden to listen, yep she definitely has her own agenda, but I love her anyway. I wouldn't mind owning any of the breeds I have again. The golden was the dog I always dreamed about and he turned out to be a dream dog that lights up a room. The GSD has stolen my heart and I love the way she thinks and she is always thinking. The Samoyed mix had my heart from the very beginning, she is the motherly one of the bunch.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Oh my goodness YES!!! C: Have you ever fostered a husky.

Here is their behavioral guide!!!
:thumbup: That is so true:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have a Cardigan Corgi and my GSD....they are both VERY similar, corgis are really like little German Shepherds lol....the corgi isn't as much my shadow as the GSD is, but they are very similar in drive, temperament, and general disposition. I would say the Corgi is more stubborn and hard headed, though. He can be a little pill. But I love them both. :-D

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
:thumbup: That is so true:)
Smokey knows all of those commands. He just does them on his own accord. He learns much faster than Zeeva. Just doesn't have the biddability. I'm amused by him when he doesn't listen because I know it's genetic but with Zeeva I get frustrated...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh yes there are lots of differences.

"Akos" the white shepherd is very hard to train - he doesn't accept toys or food or affection as reward.
He's not very intelligent, the only thing that works everytime is movement.
Clicker, fetch games....forget it.
If "Akos" gets a chance to live without people he would sure take this chance. He goes his own way.

"Wega" the Dutchie is a very handsome and easy dog. For a prey he does everything - his full attention is mine.
He also loves movement but he needs plenty exercises for his head like clicker, Mondioring, Agility, fetch games,...

Most friends said: "OMG you own a Dutchie? Are you crazy? That are very complicated dogs"

Really? I love both dogs...no doubt...but I'm prefferring the Dutchie "Wega" over the white "Akos".
But please don't tell him.... ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Franksmom, i had to laugh so hard at your description of a border collie because that is exactly how I described my Aussie/border collie girl. I used to tell people that she was convinced she was smarter than we were and she probably was right. When I would ask her to do something she would look at me like "are you sure about that"? She was a year old when my oldest son was born and she immediately took on the responsibilities of child rearing. I can't tell you how many times she looked at me like "are you really qualified to handle this mom thing?"

I loved her so much. I am going to whisper this so the current canine residents don't hear, but she was my favorite dog.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh my goodness YES!!! C: Have you ever fostered a husky.

Here is their behavioral guide!!!
My sister is a Husky person... me? Not so much.

You know how some people say "I'm a GSD person" or "I'm a lab person" or "I'm a doberman person".... Well, "I AM NOT A HUSKY PERSON". :eek:
Not at all. I've had one husky in my life, and bless her heart, we just did NOT get along, no matter how hard we tried. I ended up giving her to my sister, and like I expected, they hit it off instantly.
My sister is about Husky's like I am GSD's... I swear I don't see what she sees in them. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes! My shepherds were 10 when we took in hooch a pitbull. The shepherds are much more layed back and watch where hooch is all over you/in your face if you let him! He seems more hard headed like too! There was a period of adjustment, but I still like the attitude and intellect of the shepherds best! Hooch is a good boy, I love him, but I do like my shepherds!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
My sister is a Husky person... me? Not so much.

You know how some people say "I'm a GSD person" or "I'm a lab person" or "I'm a doberman person".... Well, "I AM NOT A HUSKY PERSON". :eek:
Not at all. I've had one husky in my life, and bless her heart, we just did NOT get along, no matter how hard we tried. I ended up giving her to my sister, and like I expected, they hit it off instantly.
My sister is about Husky's like I am GSD's... I swear I don't see what she sees in them. :crazy:
Lol. I really think you have to have a robust sense of humor to own a husky. IMO GSD owners are pretty serious about their doggie sports, their dogs biddability and huskies just don't cut the work ethic or obedience required... But they're so majestic looking. And they're so clownish. If it weren't for my husky I'd provably never laugh :D it's funny to watch him disobey when he knows what I ask him to do!!!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I have always had Shepherds, but have also had Poodles, an Aussie mix, a Corgi and Chihuahuas, a Golden and a Doberman, for about the last 20 years I've had terriers as well, Jack Russell's and Cairns, next to the Shepherds the terriers are by far my favorite, they are NOTHING like Shepherds as they tend to believe they are on equal footing with me, and any commands given to them they interpret as suggestions :). They provide me a whole different joy than my Shepherds who can't please you enough, the terriers entertain me and are excellent true working dogs, they are very much Velcro dogs though and refuse to be left out of anything, but they really make me appreciate how well behaved and biddable my Shepherds are, the truth though is I couldn't live without either of them. :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Franksmom, i had to laugh so hard at your description of a border collie because that is exactly how I described my Aussie/border collie girl. I used to tell people that she was convinced she was smarter than we were and she probably was right. When I would ask her to do something she would look at me like "are you sure about that"? She was a year old when my oldest son was born and she immediately took on the responsibilities of child rearing. I can't tell you how many times she looked at me like "are you really qualified to handle this mom thing?"

I loved her so much. I am going to whisper this so the current canine residents don't hear, but she was my favorite dog.

Your girl must of been alot like my first BC Jack, he was 3 when my oldest Boy was born and 2 years later my youngest was born. Jack took to them like he was their 1 and only parent. They were his "Job" till the day he died at the age of 13. Everywhere they went there he was. When they were little I was afraid they'd get into the bathroom and fall in the toilet, I'd heard a baby could drown that way, so I kept the door shut and them out of it unless I was with them. As they got older and were potty trained Jack would still get between them and the bathroom door till I told him it was OK for them to go in, he never nipped them but would circle them till they couldn't move.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Franksmom, Jack sounds exactly like our Sandy. (She was a black and white dog named Sandy. Weird I know but it is a long story.) Sandy was everywhere that my son was and constantly looking for any danger that could come his way. I miss her so much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts