German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend to me a quality multi-vitamin for a small breed senior dog?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has a vitamin brand they can recommend?? What about non-specific to size and age?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I use Pet Tabs Plus for all my dogs. I have a min pin and he gets half. My shepherds and other get a whole tab. I believe it is ok for all stages in life. I have a 12 yr old that gets this everyday. I used to give her a senior tab but since she is the only senior I have so I just get a big bottle of the Pet Tabs for everyone.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't there a huge problem with Pet Tabs not that long ago? I believe it involved lead poisoning?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I got my bottle of Pet-Tabs Plus and the dosing is dogs under 20 lbs-1/2 tablet daily and dogs over 20 lbs.-1 tablet daily. My small breed is 23 lbs(4 yrs.old) and gets a whole pill. I am sorry I posted wrong before.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Wasn't there a huge problem with Pet Tabs not that long ago? I believe it involved lead poisoning?

That I don't know. I will look that up. My dogs have done well on them so far.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I did find articles about this product containing lead. This one got past me. I usually research everything I give my dogs. Thank you for mentioning the lead poisoning. I never saw any bad reviews or recalls. I will stop giving them immediately. Luckily I have not been feeding them for years just months. The articles all state that if you feed good food you don't need a vitamin supplement anyway. I will still give the salmon oil though.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do indeed feed a good food but my dog is 16lb and eats 1/4th cup a day if I give her anymore she will become obese. She is fat at 16lb and still needs to loose 2-3lb (Which I've pretty much accepted will never happen) and has been eating 1/4th cup of food for around 2 years now. (In her younger days she needed 1-2 cups to keep weight ON her) For the last 8 months she's been on TOTW which is the lowest calorie food she's been on so far and she's actually -gained- a pound in the last 3 months. She has a low thyroid (When we tested it was at 0.03 with a "nomal" range being 1-4, her last test was 1.6 with 1mg of Thyrozine 2x a day. If we up her dose, all her hair falls out) and ever since we put her on medication it's caused nothing but problems. But now if I take her OFF it, it also causes problems so I'm at a loss for what to do.

I feel like she's been starved and by starving her (I try to do my best to keep her "full" by splitting it into 2 meals and offering a little pumpkin or sweet potato) I'm depriving her of nutrients which is why I want her on a multivitamin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts