German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I mentioned soybean oil in the Underweight dog thread "most soybean is GMO. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ybean-oil.aspx and others Oil Pharm Soybean Oil based Pest Killer

I bet this would work for tick removal --

at my organic market this past Saturday as the annual excitement begins with heirloom varieties being sold , the conversation also turned to weed control. Soybean , which I will try , is apparently a good weed control "
Bite Blocker EcoBlender Weed Killer

Bite Blocker EcoBlender Weed Killer uses soybean oil, citric acids and cedar oil as the main ingredients in their child- and pet-friendly weed killer. Using a formula that features fatty acids of plant oils, the product will work in one to seven days. Safe to use, the product will break down weeds into a compost. The product is suitable for use on agricultural gardens, as well as flower gardens.

Read more: Top 5 Pet-Safe Weed Killers | Garden Guides Top 5 Pet-Safe Weed Killers | Garden Guides "

Oleic acid and soybean oil are components of natural insecticides -- 96% soybean oil . This year I am going to spritz some vicious red ant homes with it to see if we can't e-"Raid"dicate them .

Having had some time this morning I checked further into the uses of soybean oil and did find several sites which give information on soybean oil used as a tick preventive in the yard. Ecologically safe , and safe for your pets .

Here is Dogs Naturally addressing this in 2010 Ticks: Natural Prevention and Care | Dogs Naturally Magazine

"Soybean oil is another ingredient often used in natural insect repellents. The EPA says "no adverse effects to humans are expected from use of these substances in repellents." Additionally, say scientists in a study published in the 2004 Canada Communicable Disease Report, bug repellents with 2 percent soybean oil are just as effective as products with less than 10 percent DEET. This natural active ingredient is non-irritating and safe to use on people of all ages"

just providing some safe alternatives

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have been using white vinegar and dawn with some success given repeated applications. I bought, but have not used yet, 2 gallons of horticultural vinegar to try out on the stubborn ones. (so far the poison ivy-the poison oak is responding to the weaker formulation).........I think it is all but hopeless on the Virginia Creeper but at least that one is so satisfying to pull up:)

Grocery vinegear is 5% acetic acid, horticultual is 20%

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Carmen, very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Oh those darn weeds:mad:

I too, just used vinegar, salt and dish soap on the weeds coming through the cracks on the driveway. It was recommended to spray it in the AM on a hot sunny day. It actually worked. I was very pleased. Got the idea from Pinterest.

I have a lot of landscaping to consider and am open to other options. Will have to look into your link.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
jocoyn, will you post your results from the horticultural vinegar? I also just got the stuff from the grocery store.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Carmen, post how this mixture works on red ants, I have the big red ands and the big black ants in my paddocks, they are driving the horses crazy, I use ant spray but they come out somewhere else. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
You will find that it also gets rid of red spider mites on plants. Use about 1 teaspoon to 1 litre water with some castille or glycerine soap, just a few flakes. The soap breaks the surface tension on the spider mites and the oil drowns them and keep them away for a while. With any insect control you will find that soapy works better than pesticide - I am an experience gardener in a tropical area so I know this works :) Just ensure to get it under the leaves and do not spray in the sun

·
Registered
51 Posts
Carmen, post how this mixture works on red ants, I have the big red ands and the big black ants in my paddocks, they are driving the horses crazy, I use ant spray but they come out somewhere else. :(
Ants hate mint check it out on the internet, we battle these in our tropical area. Use some mint essential oil in water and add soap.

You will also find instructions on the internet how to make boric acid ant traps just ensure your animals do not eat the bait, most drug stores in the USA sell boric acid its about as safe as it gets just takes a while for the ants to bring it back to the queen and then the whole colony are finished or as they say here in Egypt - khaulass -

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of cedar oil, but yes mint oil , good idea . I had heard that mosquitoes don't like mint .

For an experiment I will do a patch with 20% acetic acid Vinegar and maybe add some citric acid to further acidify it, and add some drops of oil of clove .

Lifted a potted plant with perennial geranium that I wanted moved and underneath the ground was shimmering in tiny red ants . They came up the side of the pot and were almost onto my gloves I put the pot down real fast. These ants are different and hurt , the sting lasts for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts