German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I do foster care and even though we got our new 13 week old purebred to be a therapy dog of sorts for kids that will stay with us, I had another idea <Maniacal Laugh>. I do want to use her as a therapy dog of sorts for sure, but I also thought it would be quite handy to do some scent detection with her for a few substances since we take in teens. Even now we have 2 teens that share a room and I did a search and found THC cartridge, tobacco products, and plenty of vape stuff. I think if I could train her to detect marijuana (raw form, THC/CBD cartridges), that would be a huge one, but tobacco products would be helpful as well. I would like to see if vape cartridges are possible but with the tens of thousands of different flavors, is that even feasible? Maybe they can be trained to focus more on the propylene glycol and not the flavoring?

My other question on this is: Even though GSD's are very smart, and, from the little I have know, very capable of doing pretty much anything, are they still flexible enough to handle different tasks, or are they better at being trained for just one task? Part of where a lot of this stems from is the breeder, and now I, see a lot of potential with her. Maybe it's a GSD thing, but she CONSTANTLY has her nose to the ground. Her bloodline has K9's and even now her uncle is an active K9 which makes me think she could be great at doing that sort of thing. Her current puppy training I am just started a week ago with her, she seems to pick up fast. Any tips, advice, answers on this would be much appreciated. As of right now I have zero experience with these things but want to learn more and want to put the time in with her and help her reach her full potential. I sometimes feel bad when I'm not doing anything with her (like when im typing things like this) and I see her sleeping (like she is right now)...lol

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
Being a therapy dog is more a question of temperament - is the dog sound, patient, people oriented, etc. Other than that, the training is simply obedience... i would not think that that alone would compete with doing any nose work training.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts