German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know it is spring, rainy, wet...but my goodness...the amount of mud this year seems to be a record. Paws, belly, crate, floor - all covered. The poor guy has to stay in the crate even after we clean his paws off to "drip dry" because we can't remove it all. Anyone having the same problem, and any miraculous interventions beside concreting your whole yard?:wild:

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I just went out and bought a upright carpet cleaner for the same reason. When ours comes in he knows he has to wait for his paws to be wiped-but it still gets in the carpet. I just told my husband I would rather it be 10 degrees outside so everything is frozen! lol

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We keep a beach towel outside on the laundry line to wipe down the dogs. Of course, it only gets about half the mud off. Then they come inside, lay down, and when they get up they leave a dirt pile. :) I have concrete floors, so it's easy to clean up. I don't know how you people with carpets deal!

·
Registered
459 Posts
At one point last week there were 2 beach towels stretched from the patio door to the living room and then there was an old sheet spread out over my carpet. It rained for 2 days straight right after the snow melted and my back yard was a flooded mud pit. It was disgusting. I feel your pain and I feel exactly the same way. It rained again yesterday/last night so I am cleaning up mud again today.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
We pea graveled the whole backyard,lol So nice and stress free to let them out for potty breaks. However, walking them has been a nightmare since neither consider being on a leash a real walk- they come home as amped up as they were when they left. We have multiple acres of free field to run in behind my home, but it's been a swamp since January pretty much and both dogs loves mud. I spray them off with the hose, then towel dry outside, and bring them into the gated kitchen to fling water everywhere before of course mopping daily:( Today was a leashed walked day since it poured all night and I'm exhausted from the stomach bug's rampage through my house and work, but they are a hyper pain right now!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have multiple flannel sheets that I put over the carpet to keep the mud from getting ground in too deep. When the dogs are super muddy, I use a waterbed filler kit-hook it up to the kitchen sink to run warm water outside so I can hose them down; then use a shop vac with the hose hooked up to blow and dry that extra water off; then into the hallway where they take turns getting towel dried, then to their crates. It is a LOT of work with two long coats!! Feels like my back is gonna break by the time it is done but it helps to keep down on the mud tracked indoors.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Only solution I've found - we made a large very nice kennel. 30 x 18 concrete (6 x 18 of it is sand and mulch for a potty area). They play in there on muddy days or when it's even remotely wet.

On rainy days they go out for a potty break INDIVIDUALLY and back in as soon as their potty business is over. When they go out as a group, they run around and act retarded and get filthy.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The pea gravel is great for picking up poo, no mud, and no harm to the paw pads- no pee smell either in the summer so we can leave or windows open,lol

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I should mention it's actually pretty and decorative, easy to maintain even with fall leave,s and isn't misplaced in the rain. We found a wholesale quarry and got it for like $60 a ton:D

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I take a Maxwell House plastic coffee container that has a built in handle that is empty and put water in it. You can lift each paw and dip it in the container of water and it helps to get most of the mud and dirt off. Then I use a towel to help dry the wet paws.

Because the can has a handle on it you can swish it around while his or her paw is in there, that helps to get most of the mud off. It works pretty good for me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Spring is here in TX and I have been hard at work eliminating mud……
Pea gravelled behind the shed/dog-mahal because its always muddy and the dogs want to dig……
Put paver stones down on the path to the north side of the house, also always muddy.
Working on the pavers from the patio to the yard to eiminate that mudhole…..
Need to try to make them a sand pit in the shade as a designated digging area.
My back hurts :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Zoeys mom, when the dogs are running and acting crazy do they not displace the gravel? I have a 40 x 6 ft section that mine keep muddy and I was thinking of concrete because I was afraid they would scatter the gravel.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh, and Osa is kind enough to dip herself in the pool multiple times when she goes out…. It keeps her clean, but its not doing much for the pool…. LOL
Of course sometimes she forgets the last dip after rolling around in the dirt before coming in….. :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ugh - I feel better knowing it's not just me dealing with the "spring muddies". With all the rain here (Oregon) it's SO muddy. The past few days I would let Xander out to play with Vega and then a few minutes later I look out and he has mud on his legs - all four - all the way up, his belly, his chest and his head. I was amazed.

I have not really perfected a way of bringing him in - the past week after he's outside I've tried to towel off the mud but there is so much that it doesn't do much good. So - I let him hang out in his crate for a little while to dry off then I brush him and vacuum up anything.

I am thinking about attaching a hose to the back faucet and hosing him off but I worry it will be too cold. I don't really have any way to get hot water out there though. It's not really too cold here - usually 50s but IDK if that is too cold to hose him off then quickly dry him off and bring him in to cozy up.

I can't wait until it starts to rain a little less!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've noticed that of all my dogs, the gsd is the least bothered by mud. I've given up trying to keep her clean. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I take a Maxwell House plastic coffee container that has a built in handle that is empty and put water in it. You can lift each paw and dip it in the container of water and it helps to get most of the mud and dirt off. Then I use a towel to help dry the wet paws.

Because the can has a handle on it you can swish it around while his or her paw is in there, that helps to get most of the mud off. It works pretty good for me.
I love your idea of using the coffee container filled with water to dip paws in. I'm going to try that:)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I have more mud this year in the yard thanks to last fall's drought and this spring's heavy rain. I bought a large piece of indoor/outdoor carpet and it's on the floor near the patio door. I also brought in some kennel panels, similar to x-pen panels, but stronger. They keep the dogs on that rug, or in the kitchen.

So, the kitchen floor needs a good scrubbing, and the rug has muddy foot prints, but the rest of the downstairs is safe from the mud. After 10 minutes I check to see how muddy the doggies are and give them a final wiping.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts