German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my dog is 6 yrs old and has never had any health problems. I acquired him from a breeder when he was 8 wks old who does health test the parents.

The past couple of days hes been refusing his food when I first give it to him, but will eat it later. I offer him his food for 15 min, then take it up. About an hour later I'll try again, and so far he's been eating his entire meals the second time I offer them. I feed him Orijen Original. He also seems to be less active than usual.

He's peed in his crate twice in the past week or two now, which he hasn't done since he was a puppy. Yesterday he drank a ton of water, and then 5 min later vomited it all back up along with a little bit of bile. Yesterday and today when I've taken him out he'll pee when we first get out, then looks like hes about to pee but doesn't a few times, then pees again before we go in.

Today when he peed the second time, at first, pee didnt come out. Something else did. Then the rest was normal pee. After he finished, I looked to see what came out and it looked like bloody mucous.

Today his poop was also softer than usual (although not concerning).

I'll take him to the vet when I get paid in a few days if this continues or worsens, but does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm worried about my baby :(

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Take him in today.

This is an issue that will only get worse if left untreated. I am thinking it's some sort of infection that might have started in the bladder but progressed to the kidneys. If it is, it's very serious. Find an emergency or 24 hour vet, apply for CareCredit, and have him seen.

I know vet bills can be a real expense, but this doesn't sound like something that should wait- he really must be seen today.

·
Super Moderator
7,907 Posts
Agreed, sounds like a UTI at minimum and has likely traveled beyond the urethra and bladder... possibly to the kidneys. UTIs are complex in male dogs and can take several rounds of antibiotics sometimes.

A simple urinalysis can tell if an infection is present and they may start him on a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain meds right away until the culture comes back then they can switch the antibiotics to knock out the specific bacteria found.

Treatment for my boy from start to finish was about $5-600 bucks.

I’ve personally had a UTI and it can travel to the kidneys in a matter of hours. The pain is excruciating. Borrow money if you have to but get him seen.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Unfortunately I have no one to borrow money from right now. I do have some left over amoxicillin I could try giving him though. I also have clindamycin, but didnt see that one on the list of antibiotics that can treat UTIs in dogs that I googled.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I agree with Muskeg. I'd be at a vet today too. The days of waiting may have bought you a more expensive bill than you'd have had, I'm afraid. I'm so sorry you're going through this. This stuff always hits at the worst possible time, right?

Possibilities I'd be worried about, in order of most likely to least likely according to my untrained guess: UTI, bladder or kidney infection, stones, tumor, bladder cancer, prostate disease (if intact). Muskeg's suggestion of CareCredit is a really good one!

The mucus points to an infection:
https://www.cuteness.com/article/mucus-dogs-urine

You're probably looking at an exam and urinalysis with meds, at minimum -- probably bloodwork to check kidney function, and possibly x-ray, possibly ultrasound.
https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/urinary/c_dg_hematuria

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for the links, and he is intact. I am worried about cancer, but also hope that the turmeric I add to both my dogs' food every day would help keep that away.

Ugh, of course the amoxicillin I have are 500 mg capsules. Any tips on dividing up/administering capsules? I guess I'll have to pour them out and divide them up that way and then mix with canned food or something. Dosage is about 70 mg every 12-24 hrs (he is about 70 lbs)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Unfortunately I have no one to borrow money from right now. I do have some left over amoxicillin I could try giving him though. I also have clindamycin, but didnt see that one on the list of antibiotics that can treat UTIs in dogs that I googled.

No, thats not a good idea Tulip. There's too many causes and types of everything that may be wrong. The treatments are different. He could be suffering with this. Put it on a credit card or look into the plans through Care Credit Muskeg mentioned, but he has to be seen.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This would just be until I get paid on Wednesday and am able to take him to vet. I literally have $2 in my bank account and none in cash rn :(
I usually have a few hundred saved up in case of emergencies, but of course something else had just came up a few days ago and I just spent it all and havent had time to save back up yet

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Dallas area low-cost clinics:
Gypsy Dog Ops » Low Cost Resources

I'd call them all to see if they can see you on a weekend. They might at least be able to run an in-house urinalysis and prescribe a broad-spectrum med to get you started (likely under $100). The meds can sometimes be filled at WM pharmacy (use GOODRX.com to price check).

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If your credit is OK, you can get CareCredit and pay it off within a year with no interest. That's what I did when I had a sudden high vet bill. Most vets will instantly approve you, but call and ask around.

Some regular vets are open on Saturday, so if you can get him in quick, you might be able to save a lot of money because e-clinics are very pricey.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Another idea: do you have a regular vet who's seen this dog its whole life? If so, call them--even if the clinic is closed leave a message and ask them to call you over the weekend. See if they'll come in and meet you at the clinic and spot you a urinalysis and some meds until next week. Some vets do this kind of thing for clients they've known for years and years.

Or what about checking in with his breeder? If you've got a good relationship, maybe they'd let you put it on their bill at their vet, and pay it off next week. Again, this would be something that might happen if you have developed a friendship with your breeder and they're local. In rescue, I've done this for a good adopter I happened to like a lot who lost her job, broke her leg, and had her dog get sick all at once, before her unemployment benefits came in...I found out she was desperate for help, so I sent her to my vet, bought her 40# of dog food, and some human groceries to help her get through till her check showed up. You don't know what people will do for you if you don't ask.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much Magwart!!! I will check them out.

My credit is around 570. Havent really had much time to start building credit yet.

Thats a good idea, thank you magwart. I will call his regular vet and see if they answer or give me a call back. I'm scared to go to other vets because every other vet I've ever been to has always overcharged me for unnecessary procedures :/

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Do you have a credit card?

I hate to be blunt, but he could die pretty quick if his kidneys shut down, or he has stones that obstruct his urethra. And it would be painful.

Dogs are really stoic. They often don't show us how sick they are, until they are really sick. It's little things like not eating well that usually tip me off something is amiss. Anytime I have a dog who is acting "off" and not eating with enthusiasm, I start to watch them very carefully.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a credit card with a $200 limit that I've only been using for my $9/month Netflix subscription
I just called our regular vet, it went straight to voicemail but listed the doctors cell numbers, so I called my doctors cell and also went straight to voicemail, but I left a message.

·
Super Moderator
7,907 Posts
Everyone is giving good advice and direction, I just want to reiterate, I would NOT attempt to give him the amoxicillin on your own. There are many different bacteria’s and many different antibiotics designed to treat them. This is why urinalysis and cultures are necessary.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts