German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ranger is a terrible poop eater. I pick it up immediately so it is normally not a problem at home, but when we travel the people he stays with are not nearly as vigilant. Last summer he got really sick and I suspect it is because we were gone for 2 weeks so he had plenty of time to gorge on poop. So I called the vet and they said to sprinkle MSG on his food. They said only like half a tablespoon. Has anyone else tried this? Are there other things I could use? It would only be for when he goes to our sitter so it could be something that can't be used long term. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I use pumpkin :) he hates the taste of it when it comes out of the other end. I went off of the pumpkin for a week and he went straight back into poop nomming mode. I just buy a can of unsweetened pumpkin and put it in a cheap plastic ice cube tray and he gets one cube every morning :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Every dog is different. How old is Ranger now? Usually this starts when they are puppies because their mom used to eat the poop in the whelping pen. When they are little like this, just pick it up before they can eat it and they usually forget about it. This has worked for me in the past.

However, some dogs are just OCD about it. My girl will even play tricks on my so she can go out and retrieve a poopy snack later. Those dogs can't be "cured", just managed. Pick it up right away and don't give them a chance.

The quick fixes usually don't work. Angela is one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Wow.
MSG is dangerous. And that is a huge dose. I wouldn't touch it with an10-foot pole.:eek:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I tried everything you could think of including meat tenderizer which might be the same as msg....8 years later the only thing that works for Kiya is the shovel as soon as they go. The last thing I was trying is pineapple I never heard of pumpkin being used to deter poop eating.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Let me summarize my response.

Pumpkin - i have given pumpkin as a supplement and I think it makes the poop even more attractive to him.

Ranger is 11 months old. He has always been a poop eater. I have been very vigilant and he has rarely had the opportunity to eat poop, but every once in a while he catches me off guard. I also suspect that he ate his poop when he was kenneled because I NEVER found any poop in his kennel. My real problem is when we go away and he goes to someone elses house. i have found a great home for him, but the pet watcher has a fenced in backyard that he only cleans up once a week. That is going to be a digestive disaster for Ranger. I am afraid that if we leave him there for 2 weeks he will get really sick. Any suggestions? Should I put him in a boarding kennel so that he would only be eating his own poop? Ugh, this is frustrating.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I always tell my petsitter to pick up but know in the past I came home to many a pile in the yard and Kiya was no worse. The problem I have I that if she eats it and she's brought back in the house she'll puke it up inside. So in that case the sitter would have to clean up. Maybe you should just let him do what he's got to do.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I wouldn't worry about him getting sick. He's just going to poop a lot, and at some point he will have had enough (poop).

My female eats at least one steamy pile a day. I can't get it all with all the dogs I have, and like I said, she's sneaky. It is embarrassing, though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I never heard of pumpkin being used to deter poop eating.
My sister gave me the heads up on the canned pumpkin and I looked it up to see if it was even safe to try and :) it is and for me (I guess I'm lucky) it worked haha. After it goes through their system it apparently tastes terrible to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts