German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be moving from CO to south eastern (beach) of TX.

My main worry is how will my 8 month take to the move? We're going from a 1200sqft home with a small yard to a roughly 3,000sqft home on an acre of land. Clearly much more space into a two story from a ranch. New area, new home, new work hours with more travel and such.

Also my new job (if all goes well) will allow me to travel to some nice remote locations so what are some ways to keep my pup cool in the hot and humid weather? He fine to roam around with a lot of cold water, or would I need to leave him home or in the truck with the A/C running?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
our dogs have no desire to venture outside for any reason except to go to the bathroom when its hot out. We're currently in NC. Not to mention you'd have MANY more bugs to deal with such as fleas and ticks. if you really want to leave him outside in the heat, provide TONS of water and TONS of shade but i would advise just leaving him inside with the AC. Texas gets extremely hot. Its not pleasant for any animal in that heat. Even outside, he may just lay around doing nothing anyway. read around some of the posts and you'll see many people who live in hot climates find their dogs are pretty lazy during the summer but the minute it starts cooling off, their dogs go nuts with energy. Also bear in mind that even with plenty of cool water to drink and shade to lay in, your dog could still suffer heat stroke which can kill him. You're moving some place it doesnt snow and from what i've been told by the many texas here, it doesnt cool off easily except in the panhandle area. Considering i avoid texas at all costs (I'm a CO native and we ususally take 40 home during the winter if we visit) i cant really say much else. Something bad always happens to my car (we've even tried driving different vehicles through so its not all the same car!) so Texas and i are not friends. If i hated a state more than i hate NC, it would be texas.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know! I'm not looking forward to it one bit. Job is great, but location is anything but ideal.

Thankfully my work truck will be new and if anything happens be A/C or something, companies there to fix or replace it.

I have two 5 gallon water jugs that I know I'll fill with ice and water daily as I like to drink a lot of water myself, but he has fur..I don't.

I was just hoping to find a way to get him out of the house.

I think I have two months until I move, so hopefully he'll enjoy a good snow storm before the move!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would LOVE to live back home in the springs. I miss Pikes Peak so much. I'm not a fan of humidity or bugs and naturally with the humidity comes the bugs. Also it snows ONCE a year where we are right now. I never thought i would be anxious to move to our next duty station but it at least gets actual winter type cold and it snows in the winter. here it just sucks. Its going to be amazing what a 6 hour difference will make. I've already told my husband if he can ever get stationed back home please do but if as close as we can get is texas, i could suffer (i think). unfortunately until some things get figured out, navy isnt going to get stationed in CO except as a recruiter. Sok. long as i get trees around me this time around i'm happy. I'm sure you and your dog will find good times for him to be out and having fun. Its just not going to be easy all the time. AC, water, and regular brushing to get the loose fur should help greatly. I'm sure others will have some good tips for you as well.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
\
Thankfully my work truck will be new and if anything happens be A/C or something, companies there to fix or replace it.
They're not going to be there at the moment the AC goes out and your dog dies inside the car.

I would never, ever, leave a dog in a vehicle and depend on the AC to keep it cool UNLESS you have a hot dog system (google it) in your car. Make sure the alarm system you use is legal.

If you options are to leave him at home vs take him in the car and make him sit in there depending on the AC, I would leave him at home.

Dog will adjust fine to the move.

·
Registered
936 Posts
In really hot weather you are better off leaving him at home. Set up an x pen or something.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would LOVE to live back home in the springs. I miss Pikes Peak so much. I'm not a fan of humidity or bugs and naturally with the humidity comes the bugs. Also it snows ONCE a year where we are right now. I never thought i would be anxious to move to our next duty station but it at least gets actual winter type cold and it snows in the winter. here it just sucks. Its going to be amazing what a 6 hour difference will make. I've already told my husband if he can ever get stationed back home please do but if as close as we can get is texas, i could suffer (i think). unfortunately until some things get figured out, navy isnt going to get stationed in CO except as a recruiter. Sok. long as i get trees around me this time around i'm happy. I'm sure you and your dog will find good times for him to be out and having fun. Its just not going to be easy all the time. AC, water, and regular brushing to get the loose fur should help greatly. I'm sure others will have some good tips for you as well.
The springs is a nice area! We got a dumping of snow in the high country today so tomorrow I'm taking the pup up to play a little in it.

Hopefully you make it back!! We can switch lol (so I don't need to go to Texas!!)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're not going to be there at the moment the AC goes out and your dog dies inside the car.

I would never, ever, leave a dog in a vehicle and depend on the AC to keep it cool UNLESS you have a hot dog system (google it) in your car. Make sure the alarm system you use is legal.

If you options are to leave him at home vs take him in the car and make him sit in there depending on the AC, I would leave him at home.

Dog will adjust fine to the move.
I know.. I'm not dumb. It's not like I'm going to be by myself in the desert, and nor would I just leave him in the truck for hours on end with the a/c going. I'll be in the truck with him, or well be in the building.

Maybe what I'm looking for is what are some signs he's overheating. Or how long on average could he play out in the fresh air.

If I'm in a/c he'd be with me. Even CO is too hot for me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Well another idea would be if you can't take him with you if you have to leave him outside get a kiddie pool and fill it with water about halfway. That works great when it is hot and humid. My shepherds like to just stand in the water and bob for their toys. Also my dogs love ice in their water. I have lived in Texas all my life and I can tell you this the summers around here can be brutal.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I know.. I'm not dumb. It's not like I'm going to be by myself in the desert, and nor would I just leave him in the truck for hours on end with the a/c going. I'll be in the truck with him, or well be in the building.

Maybe what I'm looking for is what are some signs he's overheating. Or how long on average could he play out in the fresh air.

If I'm in a/c he'd be with me. Even CO is too hot for me :rolleyes:

CO summers are just right for me!!! so much cooler and nicer going out and enjoying the day then waking up and stepping outside and needing a shower because the humidity makes you feel totally disgusting. I grew up in the springs. no place will ever be home like the springs! I love the winters, the summers, spring, fall, all the cool places to go like Garden of the Gods, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Denver Zoo, the aquarium... the list goes on. I'm glad we're moving to maryland in the next few months because at least we'll generally be an hour away from all the nifty places to visit instead of being 6 hours away from everything worth seeing.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Yes, Texas is hot. You'll learn to read your dog and know when he needs to cool off. There are many ways to keep your dog safe in the hot, humid weather. I wouldn't let that worry you. There are many, many really good weather days, with rarely a day too cold to go out and play!

When you live on the gulf, you need to make sure your dog is crate trained. Never know when you have to jump up and leave during hurricane weather. An uncrated dog in a hotel or at a friends house isn't always easy to deal with.

I have to agree with the above regarding leaving your dog in the car. Not only is it a dangerous practice, but the folks in Texas really frown on it. A canine death in a hot vehicle even makes the news. Not a good idea.

If all goes well, Welcome to Texas!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is crate trained already. I know a hurricane vacation will be fine. I'll probably send my girl back to Co with the pup while she visits her mom. I'll need to stay down in the area but I understand what you're saying.

I'm exited to take him to the beach though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts