German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple of months I will be moving to Flagstaff AZ, to complete my degree. I’ll be taking my GSD Blitz with me. It has been ridiculously hard finding a place to rent as many of the rental companies have an extensive list of “unacceptable dogs” (including Pit Bulls, Akitas, Chows, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dobermans, and Belgian Malinois). I have found a place that an individual (not a company) is renting out that would be perfect. The hard part is, how do I convince him that my dog is not a liability? He’s very well behaved, trained, non-destructive, not very vocal at all. Would something like a CGC hold any weight in a situation like this? What about recommendations from my current landlord/neighbors?

He's seems very interested in renting to me, but he doesn't know that I have a dog yet. I'm needing some idea's on how to correctly approach this topic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I lived in California, I rented. I stayed away from company rentals or apartment/condo complexes because of the restricted breed list.

The gentleman that I rented my house from DID NOT want to rent to someone with dogs because he had two bad experiences with renters in the past (chewing the fence and digging holes in the grass). When I went and looked at the house, I told him I had a very well behaved GSD and I assured him she would not destroy his fence, grass, carpet, deck, etc.

He was very hesitant to rent to me, so what I did was get a letter from a previous landlord who knew my dog, and knew that she was well behaved. I also let him know that I would pay a higher fully refundable pet deposit if he wanted me to. It took some convincing, but he eventually rented the house to me.

If I were you, I would let him know that you have a dog sooner rather than later so it doesn't look like you are hiding something.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I feel your pain, Greydusk.

My husband is active duty Army, and since getting our German Shepherd, Abby, in 2005, we have moved twice - first from northern VA to southern VA and then from there to upstate New York. Finding a place with a German Shepherd is never easy - try doing it with a Shepherd, a Malinois, and two cats!

I have found that it's important to be up front about the fact that you have a large dog and that you are looking for a place that will allow him - this saves you and potential landlords a lot of time. Those who don't want big dogs will reject you outright and you won't waste any time considering them instead of looking for other places.

The last two times we moved, we found our rental homes through placing an ad on Craig's List stating what we were looking for and specifically that we were not picky about the size or type of home (apartment, duplex, house, etc. - fenced or unfenced yard) as long as it would allow our dogs.

We did make sure, both times, to let potential landlords know that the dogs are crated safely when we are not home, that they have CGC and TDI titles (and explained what they are), that we carry renter's insurance, and that we have references from past landlords, as well as personal references who know our dogs. We even offered vet references for them to check.

This last move, I got responses from 4 people renting their homes through the ad I placed, in addition to people who considered us after I contacted them. And we found a REALLY nice place! (Ahem ... 74 acres of woods and fields for the dogs to play on!)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dislike renting from rental companies for a variety of reasons and plan on staying away from them. This place I found is perfect, fenced yard, only 10 minute walk away from the university. We've only communicated through email, but I'll be making a trip up next week to view it, so I'll tell him before hand about the dog to see if he's still interested. I'm going to work on compiling references from our landlord and vet. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm praying he'll allow him, I'd be willing to pay an extra security deposit.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Make sure to let him know that you would be willing to pay an extra deposit and/or pet rent to have your dog there. That goes a long way with many landlords.

The other thing you can do, if it's feasible, is bring your dog along to meet your landlord. If your dog is well-trained and well-behaved, that can make an excellent impression. We did this when we were looking at places in southern Virginia and everyone liked Abby - she was very well-behaved and calm, even after a 4 hour car ride.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure to let him know that you would be willing to pay an extra deposit and/or pet rent to have your dog there. That goes a long way with many landlords.

The other thing you can do, if it's feasible, is bring your dog along to meet your landlord. If your dog is well-trained and well-behaved, that can make an excellent impression. We did this when we were looking at places in southern Virginia and everyone liked Abby - she was very well-behaved and calm, even after a 4 hour car ride.

I'd defiantly be willing to pay the extra deposit and rent (as long as it's not too outrageous). I was also considering taking him with me to meet him, it's only 3 hours away. (Plus, he does an adorable "high five" trick that makes most peoples hearts melt.) :p

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, just got an email from the guy, his current tenants decided to extend their lease. I'm back at square one. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts