German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, our timetable has been accelerated a bit -- we're moving on the 21st. We found a place Saturday, signed the lease on Sunday, so this is happening faster than I thought it would.

It's been so long since we've moved, and even longer since we've moved with dogs. (We were between furkids when we last moved 15 years ago.)
Any tips to make the move less stressful for them? We're such creatures of habit that the boys are rarely thrown a curve, and have never been thrown one of this magnitude.

I'm not sure which plan would be better for them.
Plan A is for us to take the boys (and their stuff) over to the new place. I stay there with them while mom comes back here to deal with the movers. I would plan to stay in one of the bedrooms with them, at the new place, while the movers are hauling stuff in.

Plan B is for us to keep the dogs here. Get everything (but their stuff) out of mom's room and I would wait here with them until all of our stuff is in the new place and mom comes back here. Then we'd all go to the new place.

Do you think one plan would be less stressful than the other?
And any other suggestions or tips would be appreciated, too!

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
OK my move was over 1000 miles 8 years, 5 months and 10 days ago.
I didn't have the options you did. I was still cleaning and packing as the movers loaded. The friend who was going to come up to help with the movers couldn't make it. The dogs were crated as I needed to be in and out. Barker the Elder barked a lot. I finally covered her crate (both crates were outdoors). They did fine with the movers at the new place. I think (if I remember correctly) I just popped them in the backyard.

I would, given the benefit of hindsite, with the Barker Sisters, have the dogs boarded while I worked with the movers. With Valkyrie, I don't know who she is going to mature to being.

Any way you can take them to visit their normal boarding kennel while the moving van is loaded?

And BTW congrats on getting one on such short notice!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: GunnersMom ...
I'm not sure which plan would be better for them.
Plan A is for us to take the boys (and their stuff) over to the new place. I stay there with them while mom comes back here to deal with the movers. I would plan to stay in one of the bedrooms with them, at the new place, while the movers are hauling stuff in.

Plan B is for us to keep the dogs here. Get everything (but their stuff) out of mom's room and I would wait here with them until all of our stuff is in the new place and mom comes back here. Then we'd all go to the new place.

Do you think one plan would be less stressful than the other?
And any other suggestions or tips would be appreciated, too!
I've done it several ways. I found the Hooligans got super upset when they are in the house with the movers removing their furniture.

For "local" moves (within the DC metro area) I took the Hooligans to the new place a few times before the move which is not always possible. I let them sniff around, check the place out, relax while I measured for curtains, etc. On moving day I preferred putting them in the boarding kennel for the day and then taking them to the new house after the furniture was moved in.

I've only made one "long distance" move (from MD to FL). It was hard on the guys because it involved two steps. I had to move in with a friend in VA for a couple months because my house sold so fast. They were upset with all the activity getting ready for the movers.

My friend watched them at her house while I dealt with the movers and coming down to Florida to store my furniture. Then on the final move, two of my co-workers drove down to Florida with me - this was a ratio of one person to each Hooligan (Tex died shortly before I moved).

In theory my furniture was supposed to have been delivered to this place before we got here, but like any plans they didn't materialize. The furniture arrived late BUT since it was familiar to them they didn't stress out, in fact, as their furniture was being brought into the house they seemed to calm down - BE IT EVER SO HUMBLE, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOVE!!!

·
2,967 Posts
We've moved a couple of times with dogs and our plan always more closely resembles your Plan B.

We always either move everything first so that the dogs come into a more complete environment. The movers come and then we load everyone into their crates in the car and get going.

Another thing that we've done which makes it a little easier on us, is when we move not so long distance we've boarded the dogs for a day or two. That way we can focus our attention on the move and get all of that stress out of the way so that then we can give the dogs the appropriate amount of attention. I find also that it takes my dogs about 24 hours to really settle in, so I don't like to leave them unattended until they are relaxed, boarding them can help me be ready for that.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm... I guess there are pros and cons to either plan.
On one hand, they're not going to like staying here and watching the movers take their stuff out of their home. But on the back end, they'll probably be more comfortable going into the new place with all the familiar stuff already there.

Boarding them really isn't an option, I don't think. They've never been boarded - have never spent one night away from home - in their lives. I think that would be more stressful for them. Yeah, the move is going to freak them out, but I think they'd be more relaxed having me and/or mom with them the whole time.

That's a good idea about taking them over there ahead of time, though. We're moving about ten minutes away from where we live now and we have to be over there the day before the move, anyway, to meet the cable guy. Maybe we'll just take the boys along.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts