German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if there are any good sources of raw up there. I'm getting low price ground buffalo here in Denver and they don't ship so I'll be looking for other sources. Once I get settled I can use moose, caribou and salmon but till that happens will need any leads that anyone can give me.
Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know this post is old, but...hopefully you will see it!

I'm not sure where you are moving to in Alaska, but become a resident ASAP. Moose hunting starts in September, if I remember correctly. DO NOT try to take roadkill, it is illegal. Roadkill belongs to the state and needs to be reported ASAP for pickup. Depending on where you are moving (have moved?), you may be able to apply to pick up roadkill.

Alaska troopers need help picking up road-killed moose | Moose | ADN.com

Moose, caribou, bear...hunters will definitely be cleaning out their freezers, BUT...a LOT of people up there feed raw, almost every sled dog owner I met did, and they snatch free meat as quick as it is posted.

Salmon in the spring/summer, etc. Alaska is/should be, a raw feeder's paradise. I'm very sorry I didn't go that route with my GSD when we lived there.

Talk to the butchers where you are...again, you will compete with sled dogs. Buy a gun and get your own (buy a 4 wheeler, too...moose are incredibly heavy and near impossible to move out of the woods without one LOL) Make friends with people who hunt...offer to help clean and package their kill for a portion of it. (We had a garage party with our neighbor who brought home moose, it was quite fun. Half the neighborhood was there helping to get this moose into freezers.)

And, should you happen to have any wonderful CO sources, please share them with me, as I am headed to Co Springs soon, and will be in Denver frequently, as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I too live in Colorado Springs and would be very interested in your source for the low priced ground buffalo. Good luck with your move.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow, I'd hate to be in a car that ran into a moose. Even a pickup truck would get some nasty damage.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I too live in Colorado Springs and would be very interested in your source for the low priced ground buffalo. Good luck with your move.
I'm finally getting settled in the Springs, and got on the Colorado Carnivores Yahoo list for sources. This is the only place I see on the supplier list with buffalo, and at $9 a pound, it won't be something I'm buying :eek:

Anderson Meat Company - All Natural Buffalo Product

The OP may have had another source, however. I will PM this info in case you don't come back to the thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts