German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive my ignorance, but I am moving from a suburban setting to a rural one. I have lived in large cities all my life and am really looking forward to this move.

Two questions:

The property has a well, which supplies all the water to the house. It is safe to drink. The land slopes down toward a lake, and there are about 20 trees in that area (a small wooded spot). The well is about 100' from these trees.

(1) Should I train my dogs to go potty among those trees? Can I then just leave the waste there? I would like to as there is no garbage collection. You have to drive it to the dump.
Also, is it ok for them to pee/ potty near the well? I get wild animals must use the yard for their waste all the time...

(2) is it better if I keep one area of the yard for training and another for play? Or can we just do whatever wherever? I ask because Juno (GSD 8 months) only plays in the backyard. It's difficult for me to train her there, but she's great on the porch where we do a lot our training.

I would really appreciate any advice. I feel like I should be able to answer this myself, but I don't want to take any chances.

Sincerely, Juno&Titus.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Personally, I think you should pick up your dog waste. Having it dispersed in the woods while you're hiking is one thing, but having an area where there's just tons and tons of poo accumulating is gross, and your dog probably won't like it either. It isn't good for the environment (wolf poo != dog poo and all the weird chemically food and treats we give them). One of my friends uh....does not pick up their dog's poo regularly, there's poo everywhere, it's nasty.

Maybe have a small garbage can dedicated to dog waste, which you can gradually fill up and then dump when you take the rest of your trash. That's what I do, because yeah, I don't want my regular garbage can reeking of dog doodoo all the time. Plus removing the poo takes away the concern about waste potentially leaching into your water. I do let the poo dry/shrink for a few days before I pick it up.

I don't know that I would worry about the pee...? But I could be wrong. I'm on city sewer so I don't have to worry about that.

As for training vs. play space, maybe others have more experience but I don't think it matters. I think it's important to be able to train your dog in a multitude of areas/scenarios, with/without distractions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There's no worries about having them go to the bathroom near your well. Wells don't gather surface water, but ground water often from hundreds of feet down. I live in a forested area and as far as dog poo, we just let nature take its course for the most part. My 7 month old doesn't have any poop manners and will go on the pathway or by the truck door, lol! My others have always gone off into the woods.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
I have a similar property with a small wooded area plus a well and I do keep the dog waste picked up.You don't want it leaching down into the pond.The urine will not get into the drinking , no worries there.

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
I live rural and have a small fenced area next to the house where they mainly do their business. I pick it up and dispose it in the trash. Sometimes they go in the woods but that's only occasionally. What do you do with your own trash by the way? You can add your dog poop to that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@wolfy dog I will have to take my trash to the town dump. It's actually just up the road, so maybe we could even walk it up there every two days.

thank you for all the advice, I will pick up the poo, and not worry about the urine.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Even when I was camping I picked up pet waste.
I keep a small lidded container in the vehicle, bag the waste and dispose of it on trips to town.
Aside from the unpleasant odor, your property will quickly become a minefield and it brings the risk of parasites. It is more likely to draw wildlife then deter it, contrary to many myths.
I train my dogs to use a spot to keep play areas clean.

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
or.... if you’ve ever considered a switch to raw, now could be a good time. less stool, minimal odor, crumbles within a couple days. i still p/u my dogs waste because my yard is small and as a courtesy in my neighborhood, parks, local hikes, etc.. but not sure i’d bother if i fed raw in the environment you describe. when i go backpacking, i burry it.

it’s been years... but someone here posted photos of a dog waste compost type area that they sectioned off on their property. ring a bell anyone?

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
184 Posts
We're in the woods, on a well. We call it 'shoveling the yard' and usually just dig a hole and fill it every day or two. You can just dig and flip and it's buried. If you don't it - forgive me - piles up and then you have the mess and smell. Aside from the parasites already mentioned the wild friends and the neighbor's cat think that must be the place to go. Even bunny poo with attract a following. And the kids, no matter what you do, will step in it. Do NOT put it in soil you plan to grow any food crops (again, those parasites).

As for the urine it's not an issue. Well water is filtered as it works it's way from the surface to the aquifer. Planning a homestead is a minor science. The big one I learned was to figure out your predominate wind direction and put the animals DOWN wind from the house. <G>

Here's a little info - If the ground filters water, is groundwater always clean?
DO NOT - and I cannot say this enough - buy a place without an independent water test. Not many contaminated wells out there, but if it's yours, you have no water.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
you probably have a septic system too. All that waste water (tea, if you will) makes its way down to the water table. By the time it gets there, it has been filtered and cleaned up. I don't think I would worry about contamination of your well from the dog waste. From a sanitary stand point, like stepping in it, etc. picking up makes sense. It would draw in flies and all sorts of insects.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok... so can I flush the dog poop down my toilet? I do have a septic system. The place belongs to a friend. I'll get the water tested for free in the nearby town once I'm there.

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
yes.... you can, but would not seem practical for me. carrying it back to and through the house.. in all weather conditions.. what do you carry it in? bag, napkin.. where does the soiled bag/napkin go.. you have multiple dogs right..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@Fodder yes, 2 dogs, a hound/ ACD mix and my GSD. Ok noted, not practical. Thanks!

also, I have considered raw, but I am nervous about it. I want to settle first, and see what's available in the area. The rescue was on raw (finished now in prep for the move) and Juno eats kibble, because I use it to train her.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok... so can I flush the dog poop down my toilet? I do have a septic system. The place belongs to a friend. I'll get the water tested for free in the nearby town once I'm there.
Depends on how big your dog is <G> Difficult to explain to the plumber how you clogged it up.

free water test? what are they trying to sell you??

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Juno (the GSD) poops a lot. 3x a day. Em... no, I don't want to explain to the plumber what clogged up the pipes :oops:

Apparently, the town has a free testing facility, you just drop off your water and they test it? That's what the neighbours told me, they said they drank the water and it was safe.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I live on 60 acres and I pick up poop. Even when we are hiking on trails, if they poop near the trail I pack it out. My lab often goes off aways and hides in a bush to poop amd those I usually leave.

But it will accumulate, even in a big area, and be gross.

I originally kind of had to because I had a poop eater abd I found it so offensive that I picked up every single one when it hit. I don't have a poop eater anymore. But still pick up almost all of them

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Could you set up a camping composting toilet outdoors for your dog waste?

·
Registered
134 Posts
You might want to put up a cable run for your dog's morning business...and like was mentioned clean it up. It's your yard you don't want droppings all over. To step in and track around.

The poop we shovel up is dropped close by in the bushes .

Dogs get on a scheduled more or less, after they do their business, sure give them run of the yard if there's someone to supervise them. I think that left alone they'd end up by/in the water.

The well will be alright.

Enjoy your new home.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts