German Shepherds Forum banner

Moving Overseas. Advice, Thoughts & Recommendations?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  laion123 
#1 ·
Hey Forum,

My first post here, although I've lurked for a while.

I'm hoping to get some thoughts, advice and potentially recommendations from y'all lovely fellow GSD lovers. I'm having a rough time right now working through all of it and emotions are getting involved, ha. :crazy: :eek:

Currently live in Maryland got two GSDs who I love very, very much growing up GSDs were my dream dogs and when I finally was able to own some I've continued to fall in love. We adopted both of our dogs.

The first is an almost 10 year old female, black about 80 lbs who we adopted after her original owner passed away about 2 years ago.

Our second one is not quite 1 1/2 male, traditional brown, big teddy bear (about 110-120 lbs) loving boy just starting to come out of the puppy stage. We adopted him about 8 months ago when his original owners life situation changed and they couldn't give him the attention he needed.

My whole family has been blessed by these two dogs and they are very much part of the family my daughters (6 and 5) spend hours with them and they are amazing. Both awesome dogs who I and my kids love very, very much.

Recently got offered an amazing job opportunity that I've accepted that's going to move my family overseas to Abu Dhabi, UAE for a couple of years (the "toe" of the Arabian peninsula). My intentions have always been to bring our dogs with us, growing up I went through some giving up/rehoming situations with dogs and it tore me up and I've never wanted to have to do that again. However...as I've started working through the process of moving them over I seem to be running into roadblocks and difficulties at every turn. I'm hoping maybe some of you have done an international move before with your canine family members and can help me find some perspective in all the craziness right now. Many people who aren't dog lovers/owners just don't understand why I just don't give them up or rehome them and it's tearing me up to consider it.

I've been being quoted prices anywhere from 6-8 thousand dollars to ship our dogs over. Our big boy may need a custom crate (he's about 41 or 42 inches from ear tip to floor). Obviously being the middle east it's hot over there, like really hot sometimes. I'm all messed up right now about what the best thing to do is. I don't want to give them up and firmly believe that rarely is giving up your canine family members the best option...they are a part of us. :( At the same time so many people think I'm crazy for bringing them...that it would be better to rehome them...I just don't know what to do right now. :cry: :(

Sorry for the really long post...I guess I'm hoping that maybe someone here can tell me I'm not crazy...or maybe I am or...I don't know...

On a more logistical note, if you live on the east coast does anyone have any recommendations for people who build custom crates or extensions for crates for international travel?

Thanks for listening if you read all of this. :eek: :help:

See less See more
#4 ·
Since you are clearly considered a valued new hire, ask your employer for help in moving logistics. I imagine they have faced similar problems bringing personnel and families to Abu Dhabi.
Not sure what you mean by "fly with me." Pets being shipped to the UAE are required by law to come as "Manifest Cargo"

I've talked with my employer. They did provide me the contact information for an international shipper that had been used by prior employees. Which is where I was given a rough quote of 7-10 thousand dollars for the complete process. While I'm trying to figure out how to make that work it is very possible that my entire relocation expense reimbursement allowance will be consumed by just shipping my dogs. :(

#5 ·
We have shipped dogs oversees and they traveled cargo in the same plane as us. There are shipping pet services where you drop of the dogs and they handle everything. They will probably keep them overnight. Call your airline and tell them what you need and who sells the crates.
Our dogs, about 10 years ago cost $175.00 like that and were in cargo in our plane. We provided the crates, airline approved. I had to arrange all that with the cargo department of the airline.
I would turn the world inside out to take them with me. It sounds like you are doing just that.

#6 · (Edited)
OP, I have done international travel with Titan when he was almost 2 yrs. I was stationed in Germany and got orders to FL. I am not sure all the restrictions and quarantine with UAE, though I could find out more info on that if you can't find anything. But it seems you are really just concerned with the travel, is that right?

Titan was in a Giant Kennel. Pretty sure that it was the biggest you could go in plastic crates. They really only need room to stand up turn and lay down. Depending on the airline you go through will depend on the restrictions, whether ear height is considered when inspecting the dog in the kennel.

You can talk to your vet about different calming solutions for the flights. I do not recommend any kind of tranquilizer but there are other methods. We used a pheromone collar that was meant for calming, and I believe we used benedryl... but I'm not convinced the benedryl worked or was even necessary.. lol.

As for the cost.. I wish I had a better handle on that and what is average. because I am military and he was moved on orders, they covered everything after my $200 deposit. I know for a fact it is way more than that, and at least $1500 would sound about right to me only because a plane ticket to that area is relatively that price give or take depending on season. That is also if you do a private company. If you do as cargo it should be cheaper. Delta does Cargo shipping, I have used them before when I bought a puppy from Utah.. though it was stateside, and it was just under $500. Call around.

You are NOT crazy, they are a part of the family and non-dog people do not understand that. Just keep at it and searching. If it comes down to it, do you have family or friends that could take them in the mean time?

Hope you get things figured out. I know international moves are stressful to begin with, but take a deep breath. Write yourself a list of things you need to do and check em' off as you go. Contact airlines directly and speak with them about your issue with the pet travel. Look into private companies as well if money isn't a huge issue. Also make sure you check the policy for bringing dogs in from the U.S. a lot of other countries have a pretty strict guideline on the process.

#7 ·
Hi Jdash,

I can't speak specifically to the UAE, but I know many overseas countries have a quarantine period when you first import the dog. Basically, the dog cannot go home with you for a certain period.

For instance, I believe the U.K. has a 6 month quarantine. You might want to check on this for the U.A.E.

#8 ·
The one upside to the UAE is that they don't have a quarantine period as long as you follow their procedures. That part is a relief. :)

There is import paperwork I have to procure regarding their health and the like and there are other requirements like they have to be microchipped. I've found the requirements and can work through those.

Then the most recent roadblock as I mentioned was being told that due to my big boy's size he may be to big for any traditional airline approved kennel. :(

#9 ·
Well I hope you overcome these obstacles. Sometimes it seems like it's just one thing after another but don't give up!

I fully understand why you would not want to leave them behind. We've made several moves over the years and leaving our guys behind was never an option.

#11 · (Edited)
They have to come as cargo, but they can be cargo in the belly of your plane. You can fly united from USA to Dubai and they have a price sheet for live animals if you Google it.

It states 71 - 100 lb animals are $1039 and 101 - 150 lb $1539. Those prices are specific to US to Dubai flights.

I am sure you could obtain the same info for other airlines, that was just the results of a quick search. Good luck!

Cam

#12 ·
I'm all ears, no experience to share but, next year I'm returning USA (fingers crossed) and bring my 7 yo minpin with me. Will she be quarantined??. How can I find info about bringing dog to States??. Thanks

Sent from KenzoPad

#14 ·
This was 2 years ago.. coming from Germany but. It was very easy to bring a dog back into the states. All I had to have was current rabies certificate and a travel vet visit/record review.. which was basically his records with a signed form from the vet saying he was good to go... from within 10 days of arrival into the U.S.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#13 ·
I brought my Huntaway and English pointer over from NZ to the UK. They got custom made carriers and weren't able to travel on the same plane as me. It was 9 years ago and the flights alone cost over £3000 for both dogs and two cats but that included kennelling and handling the veterinary paperwork. It was incredibly stressful and waiting to pick them up from airport cargo was the longest wait ever.
If your employer knows a company, they have a good reputation and their employees have used it in the past I would go with them. Unfortunately it is going to cost a lot but it can't be helped. I couldn't of left them behind. We had no money and I took out a loan to pay for it but I wouldn't have it any other way. I really think when you get a dog you make a commitment to it and only in very extreme circumstances should that commitment be broken.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.