German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be moving out of state with our 5 dogs and 2 cats in a couple of months. We are driving, but I wanted to know if health certificates were required for them? I've heard different things, and know it's required for transport trips for rescues.

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
from state to state health certificates aren't required but I always carry up to date shot records for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I've driven all over with my dogs. You don't need one to drive through a state. You may need one to stop in the state you are moving to if you are kenneling them so check that state's laws. Just be UTD on your rabies

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Make sure you ask any vet you've seen over the years for ALL the paper work and blood test results of each pet to give to the vet in your new location. This will give the new vet a full picture of each dog and cat! ;)

Moms :)

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I agree about having an easily accessible copy of your vaccination records (esp. rabies), even if a health certificate isn't needed. If you stop at a hotel, some hotels ask for proof of rabies vaccination -- it's very rare to be asked, but I've experienced it.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
When we drove cross country with my dogs, I carried their rabies certificates from my vet which luckily had their pictures on them. Made sure they all had ID tags w/current rabies tag on collar and microchip tag. I also bought reflective martingale collars for all 3, the reflective stuff defi itely helped walking around dark parkinglots and martingales so nobody could accidentally slip a collar in a dangerous place. My dogs were all good dogs with good recall....but not taking any chances at a truckstop along the interstate at night.

I even went so far as to add a QR tag where you could update info remotely so I could input where we were traveling and cell phone #s ect. I am admittedly paranoid a d we got from FL to northern new england with 4 dogs without incident.

Motel 6 had bedbugs though!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts