German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i love everyone on this website you all have great advise.

our family will be moving into our own house, but i have chossen to have a smaller backyard. (husband refuse to up-keep large yards. so he will let grass grow knee high) but of course blitz loves it because he runs thru it. right now i have a HUGE backyard for blitz to run and play but he has no boudries and goes to the bathroom everywhere due to the size of the yard.

so i just my question is will this affect him in a bad way?

is there a way i can help with his transition?

the good news is he will be backed up to a farm with horse and cows, but our yard is completly fenced off. so he will only get to see them thru the fence

Oh and the house also has an enclosed dog run on the side of the house. how should i introduce him to a small concere area that him home will be...any suggestions, tips, answers and advise is greatly appriated

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
do you mean that his home will be a small concrete area that is the enclosed dog run on the side of the house?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have a huge yard too, but it's not fenced, so it doesn't really help with my other dog Coke that tries to run away. We live in the city, so we often drive to a nearby baseball field that is fully fenced and let the dogs run here.

You can also look for dog parks, trails that allow dogs, train him to run alongside a bike, take him jogging...

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
First I would pick as spot in the new yard as a designated potty spot. You take you dog out on leash to go potty and you go to the spot. It makes it a lot easier to pick up the yard.

When are you planning on using the kennel run?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: katielizdo you mean that his home will be a small concrete area that is the enclosed dog run on the side of the house?
Well it is a house with a backyard, but off to the side it is enclosed with to fenced doors to keep him in. but i dont expect to use it often. it will be for special situations (ex. when a landscaper come, ect)

I am more so concern about the house itself and the differance in the yard size. currently my backyard is about 3000 square feet, the new house we are moving into is about 1000 square foot backyard.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
In my opinion, the size of the back yard shouldn't make a huge difference to Blitz, unless his only exercise is being turned loose in the yard. You do walk him at least twice a day, in addition to letting him run and play in the yard, right? If so, just keep up with the normal daily exercise and you can still use the smaller yard for fun play time. He probably won't mind the difference at all.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
whew, that's good, i thought you meant that "his home would be" the small concrete kennel area! glad to know that's not the case! also good that it's fenced...

don't think the size of the yard makes much difference. i once had two shepherds in a 600 sq foot apartment, watching tv was like being on an airplane, with the couch in back and two lazyboy chairs in front. dogs got the lazyboys. they didn't care at all as long as they were with us.

but we always made sure they got enough exercise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thanks for all the replys. i guess the transition will be easier then anticipated..........

so once again thanks to all the board members

1 - 8 of 8 Posts