German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Wow, beautiful dog, such perfection of structure and movement!

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts
Isn't that great to watch? Fluid free movement. Just beautiful.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree!! I thought this video was pretty impressive! Filmed in 1983 I believe? I love how this dog is not overdone in the slightest but opens up beautifully on both ends. He is SUPER functional.

Any other observations/comments??

Some people have commented on a "slight kickup" in the rear, but I would say that would be nitpicking.

Apparently this video was actually filmed on the cart of a train?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Effortless, ground covering movement. Just beautiful.

What I find interesting is if one looks at the dog, and especially the stacked photo, his structure is quite moderate and functional. Far from extreme. And it doesn't resemble the current trends followed by many in either conformation ring (where striving for such movement is supposedly the goal).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I thought this was interesting . . .

Check out the structural similarities between Dingo and another dog renowned for superb movement, Fanto vom Hirschel.

Dingo (VA1 1983)

Fanto (VA1 1990 & 1991)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I agree Chris, today they would say his backhand the (croupe) should be a bit longer.
You would not find him at the front of the lineup at a Sieger Show now.

Deejay has a very similar top-line, I believe the standard calls for this.

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts
It would be interesting to see a video of Fanto moving like the one of Dingo. Fanto has more rear angulation though their shoulders are similar. I would not except the same balance of movement.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: lhczthFanto has more rear angulation though their shoulders are similar.
Any way you can tell me how/where you see this?
*Hoping to learn*

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Quote: Fanto has more rear angulation though their shoulders are similar.
I do not agree that their shoulders are similar. Fanto has a much shorter upper arm, which will restrict his front reach.

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts
Andaka, I agree. I was trying not to pick him apart too much.

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts
Barb, someone else will have to explain. I can see it, but I can't seem to figure out a way to describe it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I just thought it was fascinating that two dogs renowned for superb movement and born 8 years apart, are so similar in type. Just as an interesting comparison, check out Rikkor, who was born 8 years after Fanto.

Not so similar . . .

Barb, the visual landmarks for hind angulation are the hip joint, stifle joint, and hock joint. In an appropriately stacked dog, the upper thigh will be vertical and the hock will be vertical. This allows the judge to accurately assess the amount of hind angulation a dog has.

I think the easiest way to explain the difference between Dingo and Fanto’s hind angulation is to look at the angle formed by the lower thigh (bone between the stifle joint and hock joint). See how Fanto’s lower thigh forms an angle slightly different than Dingo’s? Fanto appears to have a slightly lesser degree of angulation between the upper and lower thighs. In the dog world, this is labeled more angulation. For example, a dog with 90 degree hind angulation would be considered to have “more” angulation than a dog with 110 degree hind angulation.

Another thing you could try is to visualize the bottom of the photo as a horizontal plane and compare the distance between each dog’s stifle joint and the ground.

For reference, the SV standard calls for 120 degrees of hind angulation between upper and lower thighs.

Hope this makes sense . . .

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I have an hour tape of Fanto and have had it for about 10 years.(Yes I look at showlines too!!) Anyway, there is video of him and his personal handler going down a bike path offleash. This dog can flat out FLY! There is also video of him winning his second seiger show in which he starts from behind in the gaiting and just plain blows past the front dog in gaiting without ever double stepping. Fanto could flat out gait, I do't know about the nitpicking but on the Seiger scene TWICE he was better than everybody else. BTW, I also liked his bitework, it was clean and convincing without that look of uncertainly in the eyes. Very nice dog!!!IMO.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
What I most like of the video is how straight looks the back of the dog, perfectly parallel to the floor and so effortless. Show dogs I've seen now frequently are so sloped that even in movement they look like a triangle.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Very nice to watch if a dog is trotting straight ahead with its head in a straight ahead position. Looks good in a show ring and in a video.
I might be the first person in this whole thread which is going to say something negative...here goes...LOL.
From my experience, dogs with this much front extension on the gait do not change directions that well in a real working situation. In a way, they are too committed to going straight ahead.
Doesn't work that well in schutzhund; doesn't work that well in herding; neither in agility. all venues where dogs need to change directions quickly at times, as they do in police work and SAR as well.
This may be the reason why most working lines are criticized in the korungs as not having enough front reach or are too straight in the front but there is an excellent working reason for this!
This again may be a case of when "looking good" beats "working good".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts