German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always under the impression that the better the food the less your dog would generally poop, is that correct? The reason I ask is we just switched our GSD from Flint River Ranch over to TOTW salmon and his pooping frequency has almost doubled. He used to poop once, maybe twice a day but now he usually poops at least 3 times a day, sometimes 4!

My wife thought it might be because we are giving him more food with the TOTW, but we only increased his amount by like 1/4 of a cup, that wouldn't have that much impact would it (he gets 2 cups, twice a day)? He's been through two bags of the TOTW and nothing has changed. Would it be a good idea to maybe phase him back onto the Flint River Ranch?

Thanks

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
I noticed much larger stool when on TOTW for my dogs.

Is there a reason you switched foods to begin with?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I was always under the impression that the better the food the less your dog would generally poop, is that correct? The reason I ask is we just switched our GSD from Flint River Ranch over to TOTW salmon and his pooping frequency has almost doubled. He used to poop once, maybe twice a day but now he usually poops at least 3 times a day, sometimes 4!

My wife thought it might be because we are giving him more food with the TOTW, but we only increased his amount by like 1/4 of a cup, that wouldn't have that much impact would it (he gets 2 cups, twice a day)? He's been through two bags of the TOTW and nothing has changed. Would it be a good idea to maybe phase him back onto the Flint River Ranch?

Thanks
What is his height, weight and energy/exercise level?

My GSD gets 3.5 cups of TOTW and he is 28' at the shoulder and he's 80 pounds
and he has medium/high energy. He goes poop once or twice a day

My GSD/Husky mix gets 3 cups of TOTW and he is 26' at the shoulder and he's 70 pounds and he has low/medium energy. He goes poop once or twice a day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed much larger stool when on TOTW for my dogs.

Is there a reason you switched foods to begin with?
We switched for a few reasons actually. We have a Golden/Lab who has been having some itching issues so we wanted to move him to TOTW and see if that helped. So in switching food for him we thought we'd switch the GSD as well as it would be easier for us to feed them both the same food. Also, Flint River Ranch was mail order where TOTW we can pick up locally.

The Flint River Ranch actually ends up being a bit less expensive, but it's nice being able to just run down to the local store and buy food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is his height, weight and energy/exercise level?

My GSD gets 3.5 cups of TOTW and he is 28' at the shoulder and he's 80 pounds
and he has medium/high energy. He goes poop once or twice a day

My GSD/Husky mix gets 3 cups of TOTW and he is 26' at the shoulder and he's 70 pounds and he has low/medium energy. He goes poop once or twice a day.
Hmm, height I can't really say (I'd call him tall though) but he weighs about 86-88 pounds and I'd say he's medium-high energy. I generally get him at least 30-40 minutes of walking (usually an hour) about 4-5 times a week and then of course all the random play times (fetch,etc).

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
So the itching has continued? I like TOTW but it does have alot of things in it. If this is a food allergy, you'll want to find a single protein food with few extra ingredients. I see a fish and sweet potato food recommended alot. I can't remember the name of it.

I think TOTW might have more than one protein source in their foods. The salmon has fish meal. Doesn't list what kind of fish. Poultry has more than one poultry. It's possible for a dog to be sensitive to chicken but not turkey. So using a food with more than one protein source might not tell you much.

Do you give any supplements? If it's dry skin then fish oil will help.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
TOTW Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula

Ingredients
Lamb, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, potato protein, roasted lamb, tomato pomace, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative and source of vitamin E) dried chicory root, taurine, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

TOTW Pacific Stream Salmon Formula

Ingredients
Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
my feeling is TOTW Pacific Stream and Sierra fromulas have just as many fillers as somne lower quality grain inclusive foods. they have very few calories and, at 24% protein, likely little meat content.

this may be a reason alot of it isnt digested and the resultant excess of poo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, thanks for some of the insight everyone.
We might try switching just our GSD back to Flint River then as he seems to be the only one pooping more from it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts