German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have Mazzy.. its been a month now... she is settling in nicely... and starting obedience class tommorow... shes still leash reactive.. but class will help with that... I hope... Mazzy is a 2 year old rescue for those that did not read my previous post... she is still kind of mouthy for 2. but what concerned me is Sat and Sun nite... My nephew locked me out of our house on Sat night and left when I went to take her out to go to the bathroom... I used a neighbors phone and called him it took him quite a while to get back.. I went to the main street we live on to look for him... and on my way back into our building Mazzy latched on to my coat... I foolishly pulled and tore a whole in it...nice coat too....:| but the issue that actually scared me was Sunday.. on the way back from our walk Sunday night.. I was going back into the direction of our complex when she suddenly jumped at me and started grabbing at my sleeve .. or arm? this of course starting the clothes ripping again I stood very still and she let go... I then started to move forward again and she launched at me again... this time she grabbed my arm and when I went to pull her my arm out of her mouth she got my skin.. its not too bad.. I think she was trying to get my sleeve again.. but none the less the issue scared me ... trainer thinks she was using it as an attempt to try to stop me from going home... I just bought a new prong collar.. and she freaked out when I was trying to put it on and grabbed my sleeve again today... tore another hole so needless to say she won that one.. as the prong collars are a bear to put on .. she initially did not like the reg chain collar but those are easy to put on and now she accepts it willingly.... also today she heard my sister coming home and tried to stop me from moving forward by jumping and nipping... she tried to grab my ankle this time... sooo..... herding ?? mouthing??? behavior issue or something else.. what to you think? I now never take her out without food ... she is very very food motivated. with this new issue and the dog issues our walks are not fun... I did have her at the park yesterday.... she saw some geese and tried to get them ( she was on leash of course) I used food to get her to focus toward the end of our session I had her completely ignoring the geese .... so all is not lost... but the biting on my arm is a little scary... even if she only meant the jacket.... I'm not so sure as she has grabbed arms in the house in an attempt to play .. when I correct her she stops... but she is more stimulated outside.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
She could be doing this for any number of reasons, wanting to have you outside doing something fun and exciting because she is bored, or trying to herd, or was taught some bite-work and is confused. But the main thing is that she doesn't know the correct way to tell you what she wants. This means spending a lot of time reinforcing ways you want her to respond. If she wants to play, grab a toy. If she wants to rough house, grab a tug and then tug with her. If she wants to fetch have her get a ball or frisbee and you can play fetch. If she needs to go for a walk teach her to bring her leash...etc.

Obedience classes may help with leash reactivity. That is exactly why I had both of my dogs go through a group class. They needed to learn how to be in a room with other dogs and not expect to go visit them. My big-boy especially. He didn't get to play with other dogs so when he saw someone else taking their dog for a walk he'd get over excited. Of course he is older now, more self control and we have my gal-dog. So teaching proper expectations, some dog play time aside from class and maturity helped a lot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what the trainer said tonight, it was Mazzy's first class... she said that due to the fact that she was prob a owner turn in.. altho listed as stray. she was from San Bernadino CA ... not best area in Southern Cal.. she thinks who ever owned her previously probably thought it was fun to play Schutzhund games with her.. or she could be herding... it seems to strike more when she is trying to get me to move in another direction.. so I am bringing a toy with me on her next walk .. to exchange if she starts up again... I am so happy we went to class.... altho a little snappy with some of the dogs... by the end of the class she was ignoring them.. I know its just posturing because she met my neighbors Dane who is also a female and after a little bit of growling , she wanted to play with her.. Thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh I forgot to add... what your opinion of dog parks? The trainer tonight is totally against them. said she has known of dogs killed at them....or seriously injured..I fence sit... they are a necessary thing for someone who does not have a yard ...like me ... but I have seen dogs fight and just in the past few years.. I saw a shepherd attacked randomly by another dog.. ripped his shoulder open, I am hoping to take her thru advanced obedience.. this way she can be off leash sometimes in un fenced areas and enjoy herself... seems a long way off tho...

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
You'll read that most of us are anti-dog park, but not all. My two play way too rough for a park, and if something were to happen I am not fast enough to stop it before damage is done. Then who gets blamed but the "big mean German Shepherds" That being said, I used to go to parks when they were empty and leave when others came. We also did the occasional play date and even then we watched our dogs playing making sure no one was about to get beat up.

I've used empty basketball and tennis courts, too. Just be aware of how hot they get in the summer time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts