German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have had Harley our GSD for the past 6 months(she's now 8 months). She is a very fun dog, and we love her very much. She has many normal puppy behaviors, but only one that offers me much concern.

We have been consistent with using the advice and training guidelines laid out in the Puppy Biting sticky thread, she still will mouth occasionally. It happens once an awhile when we wipe her feet or handle her some way she isn't happy about, but that's not what concerns me either.

The concerning senario centers around more affectionate mouthing, when she is being petted or loved on, and mouths my wife or me(I assume it is some form of affection this is our first big dog). It has also happened a couple times where she will be overly excited to meet a new person, and mouths a bit. My concern focuses primarily on the latter.

If it was only happening at my home, I'd probably display more patience. However, I really don't want it to happen with the wrong stranger, be misconstrued as aggression, and take bad road from there. I love my dog very much, and I don't want anything bad to happen to her because of something I'm failing to executed properly as a trainer/owner.

Sorry for the extended post. If any more information would be helpful, let me know, I'd be happy to expand on any details. Thank you very much for any tips or advice.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
My Aussie barks when she is excited or stressed. She barks a lot. It can be annoying to have her bark so much, so we started giving her a stuffed animal to carry around with her in the house when we have visitors, or when something exciting is going to happen.

She will very carefully carry it around, and she can't bark while she is doing it. We call it her "Pappy", since it keeps her mouth busy like a baby's pacifier does. Maybe you could offer your girl some toy she could carry and mouth when you think she might want to mouth you or your wife?
Sheilah

1 - 2 of 2 Posts