German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kodee just turned one about a week ago. The last few days I've noticed that it seems like he's more "mouthy" again. When I reach to pet him, etc, he tries to mouth my hands. I've been calmly correcting him like I used to do when he was a small puppy. He is very good about not chewing on anything other than his toys, and we no longer use a crate for him, even when not at home (he is confined in the kitchen w/a baby gate if I'm gone). The mouthing is generally only directed at my hands. I'm not too concerned about it yet, but I wanted to ask - is this normal "adolescent" behavior? I'm assuming that he's going through the "teenage" period right about now. He's intact, and I've noticed some other changes as well, lately. He is much more vigilant when people come over (barks like he's going to eat them until I tell him "quiet!", which he obeys.) I actually am glad to see him become more watchful over the house. But I wanted to ask about the mouthing behavior. If this is adolescence, when do they generally outgrow this stage? If it's not adolescence, what else might be the cause?

TIA!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wish I had an answer. My boy just turned one and hes always been mouthy. ;(

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Koda is a little over six months old and he has always chewed and nibbled my hands. I used to rub his gums when his teeth were coming in. He likes to hold things in his mouth when he is relaxing, sleeping, being goofy. My fingers, my husbands toes, a piece of blanket, a toy, he just holds it very gently. We 'yelp' when he is not so gentle. He is less mouthy and more gentle about it with my husband. I have let him get away with more. He knows what he can/cant do with each member of his family. I was thinking he is just being a puppy, maybe he wasn't ready to wean? He was the biggest puppy in the litter, three pounds heavier than the heaviest of the others, and he likes to eat laying down, and I swear he makes sucking noises in his sleep sometimes. He was still nursing when we went to look at the pups at seven weeks and we got him at eight. I think having something in his mouth is just comforting to him. So I dont know either, but it sounds similar to my Koda's behavior too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts