German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching TV, when all of a sudden Sage went tearing across the room. EEEEEK, she was chasing a mouse. Okay, we are not talking about a little bitty mouse. This thing was ENORMOUS. Seriously it was the biggest, fattest mouse I've ever seen. :eek:

Sage grabbed it and then they both jumped about a foot in the air. She dropped it (did I say it was HUGE?), and then chased it, grabbing it, dropping it, jumping in the air. YUCK.

I grabbed a broom, threw open the patio door and tried to sweep it out the door. It kept running behind my hamper, Sage chasing it, me swatting at it.
Yikes. It finally made a break for the patio door, and I swooshed it out into the cold and rainy night.

Sometimes it does pay to have a dog with crazy prey drive. Even if it is just to take on a nasty rodent in the living room.

Time to break out the traps.

·
Registered
32,011 Posts
Good Girl!!!!

Ok, mouse stories:

1. Frodo. I saw him rearing up and twisting and then dancing with his feet and then putting his head down there. I thought he had gone crazy. I went over there and he had caught a mouse. I got the broom and opened the door and got it outside. Yay.

2. Frodo and Arwen. Arwen was six months old. I found a nest under a dog house. I put the house down and called the dogs. I picked the house up and they each grabbed a mouse. Arwen went behind the house with hers and I did not see her again. Frodo killed his quickly and then one by one dispatched the rest of the litter. Good dog Frodo!

3. Arwen. She was about six or seven and the darn thing was IN MY FRIDGE! I shut the door of the fridge and called Arwen. I set her up in the door way so she would see it when I opened the fridge. I opened the door. It looked out. She looked at it. She looked at me, and plainly said, "not in my job description!" The mouse came out of the fridge and ran across the dining room and under the buffet and hutch. Bad girl, Arwen!

4. Jenna. The mouse was running around the sun room. I cornered it behind the trash can. I called Jenna. Jenna! Look a mouse! Jenna cocked her head at me, and then walked away. Uhg! Jenna.

5. Arwen, two rats same day laying side by side outside in her kennel, both killed, not eaten. Good girl Arwen.

My current lot are not mousers. They are useless. I need a rat terrier for that I guess.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We had kenneled the dogs outside to go to the store, came back let the dogs in, Cody threw up, went over there, he'd thrown up a mouse, beady eyes and all! That was freaky, to see and clean up!i threw an old towel over it and threw towel and all away!

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When my Italian Greyhound, Zelda, was young, she teamed up with my Doberman, Tessa, and they were expert mouse killers. Between Zelda, Tessa and the rat snake that lived in my attic, I was mouse free for several years. Well, Tessa got very old and died, and Zelda is blind, and the rat snake apparently moved away, so now I have a mouse problem again. I have a field behind my house, so it's always a problem.

Poor Sage is probably so confused. I always tell her not to chase and bite the kitty. This weekend she had a herding instinct test, and biting the goats was a big NO. And now I encourage her to KILL THE MOUSE!

I'm just glad that her crazy prey drive is good for something around here. And that girl is SO fast. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Girl!!!!

Ok, mouse stories:

Love the mouse stories! And I feel your pain...

I only hope I don't have a repeat of last year, when I came home to one TOAD after another in the living room. I seriously have no idea how they were getting in, unless the dogs brought them in, or they learned how to use the dog door. :rolleyes:

I don't think I have the energy for both mice and toads...

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3. Arwen. She was about six or seven and the darn thing was IN MY FRIDGE! I shut the door of the fridge and called Arwen. I set her up in the door way so she would see it when I opened the fridge. I opened the door. It looked out. She looked at it. She looked at me, and plainly said, "not in my job description!" The mouse came out of the fridge and ran across the dining room and under the buffet and hutch. Bad girl, Arwen!

LOLOL, this is my favorite. :D

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I only have one GSD/mouse story and I've told it before. Reruns.....

A mouse had somehow gotten into a coat that was hanging in the laundry room. I moved the coat and the mouse fell on me. I screamed and my big fearless Annie peed on the floor. I'm not sure if that is a step up from doing nothing. Probably not.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was watching tv and my Midnight came and dropped a dead mouse right next to me. I flew off the couch as I did not know it was dead. Guess she wanted me to know she had taken care of it.

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG IT'S BACK. SERIOUSLY. IN THE KITCHEN.

:help:

Arghhhhhhh! nasty disease infested rodents, skipping around my kitchen. I am so grossed out. If it's not the orginal mutant mouse, then its BIGGER scarier brother. I swear I don't know how they are getting in the house, and I don't think I have a bear trap big enough to kill it. This incessant rain must be driving them indoors.

I set 4 traps in the kitchen, and I mean these are some serious traps. I put a baby gate across the kitchen doorway in case the Giant Mouse decides to take off running with his trap (it's happened before. Ewwwwwwww). I'd hate to wake up in the middle of the night to Sage tangling with a mouse in a trap. Better safe than sorry.

I may never sleep again. :(

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thankfully, I have not had a mouse problem. Not sure what Fiona would do. But my mom had a mouse. It was in the kitchen and ran across the floor. I screamed and ran out. I refused to enter the kitchen until my mom set a trap and it was caught. I hate mice.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
744 Posts
oh my I would be running around the house screaming if I saw a mouse, Arexa would definately chase it althought I wouldn't want to give her kisses after she handled that nasty thing.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Freyja is our resident mouser. The cats have 3 to their names, Freyja has 10+ (I'm sure she has more but she consumes them so I can't keep an accurate tally). She also loves to catch spiders and other creepy bugs in our house. Essentially, if it's smaller than her, she's going to eat it.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
There is a big wooded area - maybe 10 acres behind my house.....a circle of homes/streets around it....the main reason I bought this house so I would not have another yard right behind mine....There is a swim club opposite me on the other side of the circle....down hill, I can barely see it in the winter and only hear it in the summer....lots of wildlife in those woods - deer, groundhogs, fox, raccoons and ... you guessed it! Rats and mice....in the winter when no one is using the swim club they migrate to bird feeders, and in such numbers that I quit feeding the birds. Seeing big fat rats scurrying around is not pleasurable!

One night when I pulled into the drive (back of house) Kyra jumped out of the car and ran! I heard this loud EEEEKKKK and here she comes, proudly carrying a rat!

When Wolf was about 4 months old, with at least a foot of snow on the ground, he started out of the yard, into the woods on an old path that was there for the kids to walk down to the pool years ago...he started digging furiously...yep, dug up a frozen rat!

So I reluctantly quit feeding the birds due to the rats......and then the little buggers ate my garage door! The rats ate off the rubber guard! So I had a problem with them getting into the garage - last winter, Csabre went nuts in the garage - digging at a pile of boxes and junk I had sort of dumped when cleaning out the truck, bins of dog training stuff, etc.....she came out with an plastic jug that I used to carry water that a rat had chewed into for the water I guess. The rat was stuck in the jug and Csabre wanted it! She was trying to bite through the jug to get it...I took the jug off of her and threw it down the hill into the woods, hitting a tree with it (could NOT have done that if I tried!). Apparently one of us killed the rat though.

I replaced the garage door, had a new frame of 2 x 6s installed last summer when I got home. They put this nice weatherstripping around the whole door. Something started on the weather stripping when it got cold...little circles of plastic lying on the ground and now a little gap that light gets through. But no rats in the garage according to Csabre...thankfully!

Lee

·
Registered
144 Posts
I only have one GSD/mouse story and I've told it before. Reruns.....

A mouse had somehow gotten into a coat that was hanging in the laundry room. I moved the coat and the mouse fell on me. I screamed and my big fearless Annie peed on the floor. I'm not sure if that is a step up from doing nothing. Probably not.
LMAO! I'm sorry but this story had me rolling!

·
Registered
144 Posts
OMG IT'S BACK. SERIOUSLY. IN THE KITCHEN.

:help:

Arghhhhhhh! nasty disease infested rodents, skipping around my kitchen. I am so grossed out. If it's not the orginal mutant mouse, then its BIGGER scarier brother. I swear I don't know how they are getting in the house, and I don't think I have a bear trap big enough to kill it. This incessant rain must be driving them indoors.

I set 4 traps in the kitchen, and I mean these are some serious traps. I put a baby gate across the kitchen doorway in case the Giant Mouse decides to take off running with his trap (it's happened before. Ewwwwwwww). I'd hate to wake up in the middle of the night to Sage tangling with a mouse in a trap. Better safe than sorry.

I may never sleep again. :(
It sounds like from your description it is a rat, not a mouse. I fortunately have never had a mouse or rat in my home but did have a rat under my house last year. gross! Apparently it got through the crawlspace vent grates so I got some 1/4" heavy wire mesh and lined the grates. The house next door is a rental and somehow got infested with rats because of the skanks that had lived there. ugh. The landlord fixed the problem before the new tenants moved in so hopefully wont see another rat!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
If we had rats, mice or both in our house, my mother would not come home until they were completely gone. She is that terrified of them. Sadly, Gypsy most likely will chase, get bit on the nose, kill the rodent and bring it to my dad, tragically my mom or myself to throw it since she will see it as a new toy. Then again, she would kill it and chew on it like she did with a lizard she found when she was about 6 months old. I learned my lesson about being careful about getting something that a dog should not have in its mouth that day.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
No mice/rat stories, sadly, but we have a good Toad one.

We had just moved and we hadn't been in the house for a month. We hear Croakers all the time, but I didn't think they were close to the house. Finn comes in after a potty break and his cheeks are puffed out and he's salivating. I looked and said, "drop it...". Out comes this huge freaking toad! I scream, it jumps, he jumps on it, and squishes it.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Lucky and Daisy were Mousers but Daisy played w/ them. You know like a stuffed animal. Lucky kind of ate them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
spring is in the air and the occasional fly gets inside when opening doors. Annie is pretty good at catching them. i will await the arrival of our first mouse and hope she does as well.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The cats have killed a couple of bats & a TON of mice that got in through the dog doors. I dislike em dead or alive & was getting grossed out at the random heads, tails, legs & organs being left behind. This year I had some in my bedroom but nowhere else. I got an electronic zapper off Amazon & electrocuted 'em. I didn't let the cats in the bedroom b/c the notion of them dropping one on me while I'm asleep is just too ugly.

Djibouti dragged in a couple of opossums. The 1st opossum was barely conscious & doing it's 'possum' thing. I simply swept it out the door & off the porch tho' Djibouti was miffed that I took *his* critter. The last opossum eluded my efforts to get him the @#$^%#@ out of the house & was here for 4-5 days (ugh). I suggested to Djibouti that it was *his* so DO SOMETHING but he kinda shrugged & let me know he was sooooo not interested.

I learned that opossums can move much faster than I would have guessed. I once knocked the darn thing off the railing upstairs to the wood floor 13' below & it didn't go into its possum thing<sigggh>. Given that, it wasn't surprising when I knocked it 3-4' off an entertainment stand & it did nothing but flee in the wrong direction (I'd hoped to get it to run outdoors). It was a frustrating, very aggravating time for me & the critter. I didn't have Phoenix then but if I get another in the house I suspect she'll take a real (& possibly killing) interest in it. She's considerably more predatory than Djibouti who just drags em in. Love the big lug but sheeeesh.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts