5,775 Posts

·
Registered
5,775 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UK or USA or anywhere I still wonder if it is an effect from an accumulated error from inbreeding , which would at best of times be a roach
The lines , the genetics are the same in this sub group of GSD

who truly knows how unusual this is. There may have been others born over the years who were
quietly have been put down before any eyes could see them.
Years ago this is what happened to whites born to normal coloured GSD --- they never were -- they vanished .

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I don't know, I haven't followed up on him in a while, but I do know they were investing a lot of energy to investigate his condition.

I would never wish ill health on any animal, and I don't think anybody should strive to replicate this condition, but he still is stinkin' cute.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I follow Quasi. He is a beautiful, sweet dog. His eyes can melt your heart. He is good with other dogs, likes to play, etc. I think they said that there are only like 10 dogs ever with this condition. They do have to do some kind of operation on his private area because the position of his body causes an issue and maybe even some pain. He was with one foster family and due to how busy they were they placed him in another foster home where he is very happy. I almost think they might keep him, he is loved and spoiled.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh no -- have seen this commercial here and there
Royal Canin is the product , petsmart is the shop, mini dachshund is the breed

this is an abnormal spine -- the poor dog can not sit , and when he walks he looks
like a weasel or ferret on a lead .

nothing against the dog . it is clearly not his / her fault and deserves to squeeze out every
bit of all the good that is in life --- but ANYTHING that encourages this in breeding is wrong.

there are enough people who will see this poster-boy for the product and think it is the norm .
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ATi4/petsmart-dachshund-lover-song-by-queen

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have seen Quasi before, and this is the first time I have seen the Akita.... As Carmen said (I think about the Dachshund), I don't begrudge any bit of happiness these dogs can squeeze out of their lives, and they deserve the very best... But my heart wrings when I see pictures/video of them... whatever monstrous breeding error brought this on, if, indeed that is the case, may it never happen again. :crying:

Susan

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
DNA tests are only reliable to establish parentage. Manufacturers suggest they be used for entertainment purposes only when it comes to establishing breed.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
He seems to be extremely happy. I don't think its bred on purpose, it's just very rare. The vertabrae just didn't form correctly. It does not affect his life span at all. He just has to do some things a little different. I absolutely love him:wub:

Here he is with one of his best friends

1 - 20 of 22 Posts