German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making a wish-list of unique tricks. What are some of the most "off the wall" tricks that you have seen/heard of a dog doing? I got some ideas from YouTube - piano playing, balancing a ball on the nose throwing it up and catching it, etc. I need some ideas so we can start building up to them! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
One thing I'd love to see, saw it a long time ago on either America's Funniest Videos or Pet Star. I think it was a Doberman who got up on its hind legs, opened a fridge, got a beer, brought it to the owner, then when he was done she would recycle it. That was awesome.

Here is a clip with a border collie getting a beer:

Dog Gets A Beer

Another one I'd like I heard about from my sister's boyfriend. He went to a client one day who had a harlequin great dane in her office. She'd go "Ok Bowzer, you ready?" And he'd go sit down, she'd pretend to pull out two guns out of her pocket, and she'd go "Bam, Bam" and he'd slowly lay down, turn on his back, legs up and play dead. Loved the story, would have loved to see it.

Also love the ones where dogs balance the treats on their nose, and when you say ok flip it up in the air and eat it. I'm sure dogs on here do it.

I still love the paper trick, too. Got to get one of mine to do that!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an over exuberant Chesapeake that would jump on anything and nothing I tried detered him for long so I used that against him and taught him to bounce so now I say bounce and he does just like Tigger all over the house and the urge to jump has disappeared! He looks like a dork going from a sit stay to bouncing off his back legs in mid air. Gauge is my comic relief most days he does whatever silly thing I ask him to do. I hide his toys and tell him to search if you put them in a box make sure its big enough for him to get his head out Gauge ran around the house with the box on his head for a few because he was to greedy to let go of the treasure inside.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My terrier would play a synthesizer keyboard. He also learned how to paint. I also started to teach him to ride a skateboard but I never finished training that.

(the photo was when he was being taught to paint, at a pet show demo)

I always wanted to teach a dog to hold a treat on their nose, then flip it up in the air to be caught by another dog sitting behind them. I have a book called "How to Get Your Pet Into Show Business" by Captain Haggerty which lists a lot of really neat tricks. The author also wrote a book called "How to Teach Your Dog to Talk" which is all about tricks. I also have two other books with a lot more ideas: Quick Clicks and Clicker Fun. If you go to Amazon and search for Quick Clicks you can read the table of contents to see what tricks they list.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i was watching Pet Star also and the coolest trick i ever saw was a smaller dog doing backwards hand flips, or whatever u call it. Like gymnists do!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: Oranges81How about a handstand?
I like it! But do you think it's too hard for a GSD (full grown)? I have seen little dogs do it, but don't know about bigger dogs.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: jimmym1981i was watching Pet Star also and the coolest trick i ever saw was a smaller dog doing backwards hand flips, or whatever u call it. Like gymnists do!!!
That's awesome. Little, energetic dogs can do the coolest things sometimes!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: ChicagocanineI have a book called "How to Get Your Pet Into Show Business" by Captain Haggerty which lists a lot of really neat tricks...
Thanks for the recs. I will look into them for sure.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I taught Sugar (by accident haha) to "bounce" the ball back to me. It is kind of like fetch. It is really fun and impresses people. She would always bounce the ball out of her mouth (not very good coordination) so one day she just started bopping the ball back to me on her nose. I gave the behavior a name and now it is really fun! It's kind of like the air bud movies!

Some other cool ones are sitting back on their haunches and waving (smaller dogs like bcs and aussies can stand on your feet very popular in disc)

Zac George, a frisbee dog guy, has some cool tricks. He has a ton of videos on youtube.

Say your prayers, (putting paws on chair and putting head down between them) is popular.

There are so many things! Disc is a great way to learn some really fun tricks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Originally Posted By: NC_PetMomma
Originally Posted By: Oranges81How about a handstand?
I like it! But do you think it's too hard for a GSD (full grown)? I have seen little dogs do it, but don't know about bigger dogs.
A friend on another forum is teaching her three aussies to do a handstand and I think Lies is working with Coke. Can't remember for sure thou..

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I've had a lot of fun over the years teaching tricks to my dogs (I enjoy it more than regular obedience and I think they do too .. *L*).

My first chow, Kylee, learned "go to bed". She would lay down on a blanket, take the edge in her mouth and roll over - rolling herself up in the blanket. I saw it on TV with a golden retriever doing it and thought "MY dog could do that!".

Dawson and Trick both learned to fetch a beer. I always wanted to teach Trick to open a cooler (one of those "sit on the ground" type coolers) to bring a beer, but most of them shut pretty tight and I never figured out how to get her to open it.

I've had dogs who learned to open their own kennel doors - I put a rag or rope on the door and they could pull it open to go in. I want to teach that to Tazer - she sticks her toes in the door and pulls it open, but every once in a while her toe gets stuck.

Khana covers her nose with her paw - while she's sitting, and it's so darn cute! I can say "are you embarassed??" and she'll put her paw over her face. Trick lays down to do it and I use the command "what stinks?" and she lays down with her paw over her nose. Another GSD learned "peekaboo" and put both paws up over her face. Each dog has kind of added their own personality to the paw/face tricks and I just went with what they did.

All my dogs learn to wave goodbye, which is a really basic trick but impresses people a lot. I saw someone do this way back in the late 80's and knew it was going to be something I used a lot, it was so cute!

I teach my dogs to spin, too. Most just spin one way (whichever way ends up being comfortable for them) but Dora will spin both ways - she turns to the right, then "unwinds" to the left .. *L* .. SHE chose to do it this way! Dogs tend to be left or right-handed, so maybe she's ambidextrous?

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
On PetStar last week (I think), they had a Golden play hide and go fetch. The owner would tell the Golden to go hide, and he hid behind a pole and then the owner would toss a ball and the Golden would bring it back. The best part of the trick was when the owner said "you're peaking" and the dog would readjust behind the pole so the owner could not see him from where he was standing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is great -- I'm looking for things to keep my pup interested and occupied while she goes through CCL surgery and has very limited ability to stand or sit.

-- IliamnasQuest, how did you teach the peekaboo or It Stinks trick?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The paw/face tricks were mostly taught by tickling the dog's face and then the dog would bring up a paw to scratch and I'd mark and reward that behavior. With one dog (Dora) I was able to mark and reward the behavior when it happened naturally (she must have had an itchy nose for a while because she would rub it fairly frequently). But the others were tickled. The way I tickle is to softly blow air against the dog's face. Now, some dogs snap at air like that so you want to be sure your dog won't do that (don't want anyone getting bit). A little puff of air on mine didn't affect them that way - they simply brought a paw up to rub the nose and I would say "YESS!" and then reward them (treats or scratches depending on the dog).

I actually taught the chows this while they were on the bed with me, back when I was really sick and mostly bedridden. I was trying to find things to keep us all entertained. And each dog developed the trick differently. I didn't really try to shape the behaviors exactly the same - one dog wanted to bring up both paws, and I thought that was cute and went with it. Dora would rub her nose, Khana puts her paw up and holds it there, Trick chose to lay on her side (and for her build, I think it was necessary) and bring up one paw. It was neat to see how they worked it out to reflect their own personalities.

So this would definitely be something you could do with your girl while she recovers, since it can be taught while they're laying down.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh that sounds like fun! I'm going to start working on the 'what stinks!?' with Sariah tonight. Melanie, how did you get your dogs to wave goodbye?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally Posted By: tre_Melanie, how did you get your dogs to wave goodbye?
I second that request! That would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
For the waving, I used to have my lab do that. I just went from sort of the "give paw" command, and instead moved my hand out of the way. Then it went to having him wave his arm in the air higher than the "give paw" to the "high five" height. Then I'd treat him when he did it. All I had to do was say "wave" and he'd do it. He was a quick learner though and would do anything for a cookie.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts